April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN August 2014 Challenge - Ode to Banj - WIPs

19 Aug 2014 15:24 #5369 by oaktree
Digital Dave, AngieA and Domtopia . Thank you all for your comments and constructive suggestions at the moment I am totally confused and am not sure which way to proceed. I shall be away for some days and will have no internet so will not be able to comment or update anything until next week but by then my painting should be well established I hope. Looking forward to see how everyone progresses.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Aug 2014 16:19 #5377 by Kodabble
Digital Dave: sorry you had to redo the work. My old computer does the same thing and I keep telling myself to save frequently, though I seldom listen to what I’m saying when it’s reasonable. Anyway, color is looking good but it does need something to keep your focus on the center. Maybe the window behind the king cat.

AngieA: Welcome to the forum. I really like the action pose of the hamster on the left.

Oaktree: I like the additions of the wheel and the banners gives it a felling of depth, though lighten and less saturation to them as they fade into the background.

19 Aug 2014 17:55 #5383 by Digital Dave
Thanks Kodabble. But it was totally my fault forgetting to save it. PS rarely crashes on me, but I was away from the computer for hours, and plugging and un-plugging all the power-tools I'm using right now, could have assisted in this? I know that I get the occasional flickering of lights when I'm doing this, and have even tripped the breakers a couple times. So this could have caused it as well? :)

Funny you mentioned a window. I've been throwing some ideas around in my head about what to do with the area behind the cat & putting in a window was one of them, or something like the tapestry Micro mentinoed. I actually tried a few different things quickly last night, but nothing seemed to fit it though. I actually thought about a stained glass window, but then thought I'll never get it to look right, with the present dimensions. Was thinking I would probably have to extend the canvas upward for that to work, or look right. (Though I have been trying to keep this one colorful, to play up the happy-happy theme thing. :) But might just have to go with something more simplified for this and maybe see how a small, plain window would work?

Thanks again

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

19 Aug 2014 23:49 - 19 Aug 2014 23:50 #5391 by microscopi
Here's my latest update, just had time to finish the armor.

Attachments:

19 Aug 2014 23:56 #5392 by Digital Dave
Armor looks great.

19 Aug 2014 23:57 - 19 Aug 2014 23:57 #5393 by microscopi
AngieA welcome to the challenge! Really like your designs the poses are great.

Oak I think I can see what you are trying to focus on, the main character should have the same lighting as the door to show he's further into that environment and if he's lighter he will stand out more as the focal point as all the other characters are dark

Thanks Dave, I was just thinking maybe to place the tapestry behind the throne. Although adding the shield would be enough, then you can just add more shadows to the wall.

20 Aug 2014 02:06 #5406 by Digital Dave
Not much of an update really. Pretty wiped out tonight, but did spend a few minutes throwing in some additional stuff just to see how it might work? Mainly the window behind the cat, and adding some magical effects that I hadn't added in yet for the magic user who's doing something to Banj's helm? Maybe re-sizing it to fit his head? :)

Attachments:

20 Aug 2014 07:04 - 20 Aug 2014 07:06 #5407 by Charlotte
Dave: regarding the wall I guess you might want to consider what time it's supposed to be - the queen and the magician (and helmet) imply medieval, while Binky the ninja there might be from another time and Banj himself, well I dunno when they invented straightjackets :P Anyway, I'm mostly getting a medieval castle vibe, so a yellow brick wall seems a little out of place. Still, if you want a "period mix" and also want to keep it colourful I understand the choice.
Regarding the window, perhaps a map would fit the theme better? You don't usually put a regent with their back to a large opening from which she can be assassinated *nods like an expert on the subject* :P

Micro: the armour looks great (though currently you're giving Banj quite a waist... Might not want to taper the shape quite so much?) and I really like the cat queen so far. A bit of a desert vibe to her I think.

Oak, I agree with others that the flag draw the eye a bit much, but yes I think you're on the right track with what you've done to emphasize the focal point so far.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

20 Aug 2014 08:30 #5410 by SchizophreniaWolf
microscopi: yep, cool armor and the mixed layer over the crown is also good. But the hamster doesn't look like a hamster. It should have a more pear-shaped head, and I would give him big black eyes because that's very specific for hamsters, but that's my opinion. Anyway nice update.

20 Aug 2014 12:27 - 20 Aug 2014 12:28 #5421 by Domtopia
Dave: Loving the banj-a-like character. I like the colour and contrast balance in the whole piece. I am not a fan of that window behind the cat though. I think a tapestry or a reflective surface might be good. Just a taste thing I guess, but it's an idea. I really like the attention to detail in the reflections too. I am sure you will get to it, but the red carpet and steps need to be reflected too.

Mic: I think this is looking great! The texture is still looking really nice and the armour detail is fantastic. Ass Schizo says, I think a little hamster reference might help to get the anatomical details right in the hamsters face, but other than that, I think this piece is looking pretty strong. Keep it up!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!