March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Thomgirl's Digital Ruminations

16 Apr 2018 19:20 #20825 by Thomgirl
Banj... you are the man. I could kiss you right now. I actually tried transforming the star, but Corel's perspective option is a bit fussy. I'll just have to look up a video on youtube or something to see how the pros deal with it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Apr 2018 10:56 #20827 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Thomgirl's Digital Ruminations
Don't use the perspective distort, use the regular distort option for the transform tool. That way you have individual control over each of the corners and can manually align them with your guides.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thomgirl

24 Apr 2018 12:54 #20902 by Thomgirl
Thank you so much, Banj! I was having a dickens of a time trying to work with it. It'll probably be a week before I can get back to doing my portraits again. My mother in law is moving in this week and it's prompting me to get a bunch of spring cleaning done. Next time I post, hopefully I will have put your advice, help, voodoo to good use! I cannot thank you enough!

11 Jul 2018 17:26 #21631 by Thomgirl
Been a long while again. I had a commission come up and once I finished that, it took more out of me than expected. Add that on with summer happenings and I found myself once again on a bit of hiatus. Apparently, that was unacceptable, because I fell down the stairs and have now been forced to recover and so figured I'd get back to work on pieces that I needed to. Needless to say, having pretty much all day for the past 3 days to just work on art has been very productive. As always, crits and suggestions are appreciated. Hope everyone is well and if you celebrate the 4th of July it was a good time!
Attachments:

12 Jul 2018 11:28 #21635 by Valence
I really like that first one. It looks a bit different from your usual elf-style portraits and it shows a different kind of character/personality too. The strength expressed in those shaded eyes is very impressive.

12 Jul 2018 12:51 #21636 by Charlotte
I can only agree with Val :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

12 Jul 2018 13:37 #21637 by Thomgirl

I really like that first one. It looks a bit different from your usual elf-style portraits and it shows a different kind of character/personality too. The strength expressed in those shaded eyes is very impressive.

Well, that would be because he's not an elf ;) He's a human character and I've had the privilege of spending many, many years getting to know through a variety of role playing adventures. So that being said, I also feel he's my strongest work to date. He is also the most recent, so hopefully that's a good sign of growth too ;) He does look the best though in a drawing state. I'm hoping everyone shakes out well in color. They're all meant to be part of a grouping of characters inspired through The Lord of the Rings online game to which we've built some rather extensive stories upon. The elven archer I did a little bit back was the first of that grouping and there will be more to come.

If the human though reads the strongest, I will not complain about that since he is a very central character to the plot development. The primary protagonist alongside the elven spear maiden at the bottom. He was also the most fun to draw with all his facial characters and since he's aged, I didn't really feel compelled to care about portraying the sharp, clean features that elves are generally associated with. Though there is one elf up next that I may take a similar approach with since his face is 'lined with the weight of the ages, his expression writ with severity.'

The elven sword 'dude' is actually undergoing a lot of work right now, but mainly on the sword and attire. After designing and re-designing (which has included a massive amount of study on actual swords and what's practical, what's not so forth and so on) so many swords now (the human's went under a few iterations as well) I'm wondering if I should take up a serious study on just drawing the damn things in their own right. My hand cramps with spasms at the thought though...

I'll probably go on a horse drawing binge after this just refresh myself :p

Anywho.... a little update, still lots of work to go.
Attachments:

12 Jul 2018 20:27 #21640 by Thomgirl
And finished the drawing phase of this guy.
Attachments:

13 Jul 2018 07:10 #21641 by Charlotte
I like him better now with proper clothes :P I'm probably old fashioned or something but an elf with bare upper arms just seemed wrong somehow (though I should probably say male elf, and I bet there are plenty painted with just armbands or something... but, still...)

I can't help but feel that there's something slightly off about his face, though. Maybe his further eye should be a bit lower? Not really sure I can tell what it is.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

13 Jul 2018 11:53 #21644 by Valence
I find it really difficult to spot errors on line drawings, they usually only become noticable to me when the colours and values are all blocked in. But because Charlotte mentioned it, there are now two things that sort of catch my eye.
First the iris of the eye looks a little fat. In profile it's usually a narrower ellipse.
Also there seems to be a large gap between the ear and the cheekbones. Usually (for humans, if not elves) the front edge of the ear sits halfway between the front and back of the head and here it seems a little too far back so just selecting and nudging it forward a bit may help the structure.