April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Thomgirl's Digital Ruminations

22 Mar 2018 22:50 #20592 by Thomgirl
Okay, my plan seems to be working... I think I'm finding a workflow that I like and isn't compromising the drawings so much. Did this drawing and got this far with 2 days worth of work. Actual hourage may vary since much of my art time gets interrupted by dogs, 3 year old, and horses.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Mar 2018 15:01 #20593 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Thomgirl's Digital Ruminations
Well, what ever you're doing its working for me. If you've got this far so quickly without losing anything of your normal excellent standard (which you obviously haven't) keep it up! I love this (I always have had a soft spot for female elven archers - then again who hasn't?)

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thomgirl

23 Mar 2018 19:56 #20603 by Thomgirl
It's getting very close to done. There's some lighting/shadow effects I want to add, freckles and I'll probably do a little more work on the hands, but I'm trying not to overwork it.

Thanks for the kind words, Atto! I really loved working this way and I think for the time being I'm going to stick with this method. Being an archer myself and of course... love elves, bringing this character to life has been a big thing for me. I've been wanting to draw her for... oh... probably 10 years now. I seriously considered doing a more 'action' pose, typical of archery portraits, but I thought it might be more of a challenge doing an archer that isn't doing anything with their weapon and how make it look just as 'archery' as if she were. I think it works. Someday, I'll do an action shot too ;)
Attachments:

28 Mar 2018 22:47 #20669 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Thomgirl's Digital Ruminations
I'm loving her bow! Those elven rune-y swirly things (yep thats the technical term) are gorgeous. Her armour makes 'sense' too - I know that might not sound like much of a compliment but I find it really difficult to make these kind of fantasy armours believable. The texture on it is lovely too but could you make a little more of it? A little more wear and tear and a little more contrast to the surface texture?
The hair looks very realistic but I would take another look at the pinky on her right hand (our left). The knuckle is a little sharp and her finger itself seems to thicken quite a lot, but maybe thats what happens to archers hands - you should know more than me.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

29 Mar 2018 00:48 - 29 Mar 2018 00:49 #20673 by Thomgirl

This is the final and I'm not entirely sure it's different from what I posted before. That being said, I totally see what you're talking about, Atto. I think I was trying not to overwork things too much, but now that I see what you pointed out, I think you're right. I think the 'thickness' is more an issue with poor shading balance on that part of the hand. Should be a simple fix. Thanks for pointing it out! Also, the armor suggestions are good. May be a while before I ever do it with hers, but that's an excellent detail to include in future leather clad folks.
Attachments:

30 Mar 2018 14:23 #20696 by Thomgirl
New project: Crits needed. Working at a really tough angle here, so any extra eyes on this are welcome as usual. Thanks in advance!

Attachments:

30 Mar 2018 14:39 #20698 by Valence
The only thing that currently sticks out to my eye is the upper arm looking longer than the forearm. It may be a foreshortening issue that will resolve itself as you continue (sometimes line sketches are hard to judge, for me at least) but if not then just drop the shoulder a little or nudge the elbow back. Either should be fine.

30 Mar 2018 15:47 #20699 by Thomgirl
I see it now, thanks!

16 Apr 2018 12:21 #20818 by Thomgirl
Haven't worked on this in a while, had some deadlines for commissions come nipping at me, but I realized I did leave it off with more progress than what I had posted last time. Hopefully I did enough enough adjustments on the arm. The sword, while I'm loving the design that's sorta just coming to me as I work, is proving tough with perspective with its angle. Lines have helped, but of course crits, suggestions, voodoo, spells are all welcome!
Attachments:

16 Apr 2018 14:07 #20819 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Thomgirl's Digital Ruminations
I find the simplest way to deal with it is to block out everything in primitives first in the correct perspective, then the basic structure is set out before the detailing. Your handy-grippy bit (I know my sword technical lingo :dumb: ), is not in alignment with the blade.

The decorative part at the base of the blade is skewed slightly (higher on the side nearest the neck). The star shaped decoration is tricky because it isn't a symmetrical design, so I'd be inclined to draw that flat and transform it into place afterwards.

Attachments: