April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Thomgirl's Digital Ruminations

10 Sep 2015 12:10 #12276 by Digital Dave
Agree with those above, and look forward to seeing how it progresses. Along with the mouth being low, it looks to be offset some, being too far right at the moment.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Sep 2015 13:12 #12278 by Thomgirl
Thanks Dave and Val for the input :D I think the issue with the mouth is actually due to the nose shading. I've drawn several reference lines and if you ignore the nose, the mouth actually looks set correctly. Of course, some times math and art do not work and so if optically it's still reading 'odd' to our eyes after final nose/shading adjustments, I'll of course tweak it :)

Thanks again and I hope all is going better for you and yourn!

16 Sep 2015 22:45 #12343 by Thomgirl
Sooooo.... per all the crits, I revisited. Thank you all so much, I think I straightened her out fairly well!
Attachments:

17 Sep 2015 00:45 #12345 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Thomgirl's Digital Ruminations
Wow Thomgirl.
Thats stunning. She seems very familiar yet also alien enough to pique my interest, almost like an old friend. Please tell me you're going to finish her body and hair to the same level as her face. Please!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

17 Sep 2015 13:03 #12348 by Thomgirl
Yes :) They are next on the hit-list.

17 Sep 2015 20:39 #12350 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Thomgirl's Digital Ruminations
Awesome! Looking forward to it. The pic also reminds me of a portrait you would see hanging in the Grand Hall of some (elvish) country manor house which has given me a great idea for some portraits based on the book "Lives of the Monster Dogs" so thanks. It may look really good with some gilded elvish version of a frame - just a thought.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

17 Sep 2015 23:09 #12353 by Valence
Those eyes are really intense and penetrating. The pale irises seem to glow with an eerie, other-worldly light.
Part of me wants to put a little bit of specular highlight here and there on the nose and cheek but another part of me isn't sure, especially as you're planning to work up the body too. So ignore that and keep working as you are, and I'll sit back, watch and enjoy the results. :)

18 Sep 2015 15:35 #12359 by Thomgirl
Hey Valence! The highlighting phase hasn't even been touched yet, so it will be getting accomplished at some point. I generally work on just basic values to make sure everything is reading 'proper' and then I go in with the sharp highlights. I'm not sure if I'll be working on her for a while though, she was intended to be a warm-up towards working on something else and then she sort of took off :p Not that I'll complain ;-) I'm going to try entering the black & white competition, but I feel she's too far along to use and have it be be fair (since I didn't start her with the intention of entering, I just found out about it yesterday :p ) So I'm trying to set up a new sketch for it, which means this lady will probably be set aside in the mean time.

19 Sep 2015 02:44 #12366 by crankshaft
Looking good! The right eye looks a bit big to me and the nose looks a bit twisted (the right nostril). Hope this helps.

19 Sep 2015 18:15 #12367 by Digital Dave
Like the markings on her. Tats or clothing designs?

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D