March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Vektor's Visuals

10 Jun 2018 17:16 #21387 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Vektor's Visuals
:D glad I could be of help! It looks amazing! :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Jun 2018 19:46 #21388 by Vektor
Replied by Vektor on topic Vektor's Visuals
Here's an enlarged section showing more of the "painterly" detail I've been trying to put into this with various filters and overlays. The painting is digital but I want it to look as much like oil on canvas as possible.

Attachments:

10 Jun 2018 19:49 #21389 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Vektor's Visuals
looks nicely done :) It's so easy to overdo those effects (at least in artRage where I usually opt out of most of them)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

13 Jun 2018 04:28 #21419 by Vektor
Still adding details and fine-tuning colors. Here's the latest in full-view as well as chopped into staggered panels.

Attachments:

13 Jun 2018 19:12 #21431 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Vektor's Visuals
Awesome stuff Vektor! Were the cable cars part of the original plan or a later thought? Either way I was going to suggest you add another element to push the eye further into the image but the cable cars are really an unexpected and original way of doing it (I was going to suggest a very unoriginal idea of a boat). The light is beautiful!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

13 Jun 2018 20:37 #21435 by Vektor
The cable cars actually exist. They are one of the feature attractions at Riverfront Park, which lies directly behind the POV of this image. I just hadn't gotten around to adding them until this latest set of WIPs. I agree that they work well as a focal point, especially in the panel set version, and I wish I'd put them in sooner.

Lots of little things left to add such as an apartment tower under the arch on the left and another bridge over the river off in the distance.

14 Jun 2018 13:42 #21438 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Vektor's Visuals
There's nothing I can add that hasn't already been said. It looks absolutely fantastic.
The mixture of the warm light and the cool shadow tones really makes the image pop and all those compositional tricks work perfectly.
And I like a bit of thick paint texture. ;)

16 Jun 2018 04:41 #21450 by Vektor
Still adding background details and playing around with filters. I'm also attaching new close-up.

Attachments:

16 Jun 2018 19:26 #21452 by Vektor
So, this is what happens when you don't pay close enough attention to your reference photos.

I discovered the two side arches were both nearly twice as wide as they're supposed to be. I already fixed the one on the right but decided to do a series of WIPs for the one on the left:

Here I overlaid some guidelines for reshaping the arch and then copy/pasted a piece of it with some transform adjustment.

With the guidelines removed, I start over-painting to blend in details and block out the new openings.

With the detailing pretty well finished, I use the Liquify tool level the tops of the openings and smooth out some rough spots in the arch. Finally, I reapply my filters.

Another discrepancy I discovered is that the "chain link" details along the top edge of the bridge are the wrong scale. I've got six panels between light poles but there should be six between every corbel. Those were done with a template on a separate layer and overlaid with a blending mode so it shouldn't be too difficult to fix.
Attachments: