April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

The Aywas Thread

01 Aug 2018 06:36 #21837 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic The Aywas Thread
Thanks Val
yesterday was the deadline so no brightening's gonna happen, but I see your point. And here I keep trying to not make everything in a set the exact same colour (something that's otherwise very popular on Aywas :P)

Purple and gradients are also very popular ;)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Aug 2018 16:50 #21931 by Charlotte
No word on the possble USD submissions, but meanwhile they have a breeding event going on and I had some edited "zephyrs" that were over edited for the usual custom pet making items but that could be done during this event where rules are bit lax - assuming I had the right parents, so I had to edit an "arion" and a "drylis" as well...

Top row is the unedited site pets, bottom row my customs and their offspring, assuming they all get accepted. Currently waiting for the custom parents to go through so I can submit the "breeding" and get the other two.

Attachments:

19 Aug 2018 20:17 #21932 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic The Aywas Thread
I like the warmth in some of those faces. It makes them look more alive and gives them a bit more depth and potential, as if they're going to scamper off before you can catch them. :)
And I'm always impressed when animal stripes accurately follow the forms of the body, unlike when I do them. :P

20 Aug 2018 17:33 #21937 by Charlotte
If you only knew how many pets like that there are on Aywas. Patterns that are just laid on flat or (my own fav non-like) scenery flat onto the body (beach, sea, sky from feet to head and I keep wondering whether the vista would break up from any other viewpoint or if it moves like something you see through a window. I think most "aywasians" are happy with more fantasy/fantastical/weird ideas and less logic, though.

20 Aug 2018 17:34 #21938 by Charlotte
Granted, I can't really figure out a way to do nice quick spots that aren't entirely round (in ArtRage) so they never quite follow the form...

20 Aug 2018 21:53 #21940 by Valence
Ellipse guide/stencil.
I keep tellin' ya! :)

Or you could set the palette knife to smudge and push/pull them into the shape you want. It'd probably blur the edges a bit, but animal fur does look a little fuzzy anyway.

21 Aug 2018 06:56 #21941 by Charlotte
Yeah when I want a more furry look I do "paint them" by hand with a suitable brush, but for just quick clean dots I use the ink pen. Of course I could transform them into flatter shapes. But it's too much work :P

I guess drawing short lines with tapering and smoothing off might work too... with tapering you get very pointed ends on your ellipse :P

21 Aug 2018 18:59 #21950 by Valence
I can never, ever use any brush that tapers. I just cannot control them at all. I don't know if it's me, or the pen, or both (it's probably just me :)) but they don't work well for me.
And that ArtRage ink pen will never smooth and taper exactly where I want it to. :P

21 Aug 2018 19:06 #21951 by Valence
But despite saying that, I have now remembered that the watercolour tool does indeed taper but the thing I like about that is that its oversensitive, slightly unpredictable nature is very much like real watercolour and it makes some nice happy accidents. It's just not the kind of thing you really want from other tools/brushes when doing details. :shrug:

01 Sep 2018 20:00 #22039 by Charlotte
Well, those pets above that I had made for a "breeding" were processed today. Exactly ONE day late to be used as I had intended. Not only that but I had uploaded them with a "custom maker" that allowed 75% edits, saying that even if they were below 50% edited (next level custom maker) I wanted the higher level one used rather than the pet being rejected. But of course it's rejected for being less edited. :( :cry: