April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Beneath outside

11 Apr 2017 09:53 - 11 Apr 2017 11:39 #15729 by Geir
Beneath outside was created by Geir
Yo, I just been reminded of this place by Charlotte. It seems I have been a member here some three years. Just forgot about it :) Oh well, I'll give the place a new go.
For the ones that might remember me from ImagineFX, I mostly did digital art over there. Nowadays its mostly graphite and polycolor pencil drawings (when I'm not composing music). This wip is a charcoal drawing, and its a challenge I gave my self. First of I just let the charcoal run a bit wild on the paper to create a messy surface with blurry shapes. I used a brush and eraser to help lifting the shapes. And i Think about three fixings in between before I started drawing.
The first two images is the first stages of making random shapes and tones.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Apr 2017 09:54 - 11 Apr 2017 11:41 #15730 by Geir
Replied by Geir on topic Beneath outside
Now its time to listen to the paper, and see what shapes will emerge. And the first lines is put down.

Attachments:

11 Apr 2017 09:57 - 11 Apr 2017 11:41 #15731 by Geir
Third stage, and some shading has started. I had now idea here what would happen further. And already here I started to be annoyed about the humanoid figure I had drawn. The reason is that I wantet this to be the same kind of organic abstract figures I usually draw. But as this was all about _me_ listening to the _paper_, I let it stay there.

Attachments:

11 Apr 2017 09:59 - 11 Apr 2017 11:42 #15732 by Geir
Time to get some spacial feeling into the thing. And something more concrete is starting to emerge.

Attachments:

11 Apr 2017 10:03 - 11 Apr 2017 11:42 #15733 by Geir
At this stage I at least startet to get an idea of what this drawing was about. But there still layed loads of secrets hidden, and it could go all kinds of ways. I did start to think that I might had fucked it up though. But again, I forced myself _not_ to think about it.

Attachments:

11 Apr 2017 10:07 - 11 Apr 2017 11:42 #15734 by Geir
Now it was time to start binding it all together. I wanted something that would do that, but without throwing on loads of details that would just ruin the whole thing. So I made a loose pattern to give the impression of a building. Maybe a ruin, or something being build up? As you can see, the pattern is not accurate mathemetically. Thats intentionally to give it a more living and uman feeling.

Attachments:

11 Apr 2017 10:11 - 11 Apr 2017 11:43 #15735 by Geir
And the drawing is complete. I have put down some final details, like highlights and darkened the darks even more. The latter is done after a coat of fix. At the same time I colored the spheres and its shadow. Those were colored with Derwents pastel pencils.

Attachments:

11 Apr 2017 10:16 #15737 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Beneath outside
Thanks for posting them all and explaining the process :)
I think you should be able to click "insert" or something somewhere to make the images display in the posts too, rather than as thumbnail attachments. (I tried to edit one of your posts and didn't see it, but hopefully the edit options look different to you as the original poster. Otherwise, scream for Banj :))

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

11 Apr 2017 10:50 - 11 Apr 2017 10:51 #15738 by Geir
Yeah it bugged me that I could only find an attach option. I like it best when the images display proporly in each post. But I cant see the insert option.

11 Apr 2017 11:04 #15739 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Beneath outside
OK let's scream for Banj... He's usually around about this time of day I think (well, early afternoons).

BANNNNNNNNJJJJJJJJJJJ!

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.