April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

HobbyHorse's 2D, 3D, sketches and Wips

05 Aug 2015 00:26 - 05 Aug 2015 00:30 #11965 by hobbyhorse
I've been meaning to start a thread but knew that I am terrible at updating regularly and this is compounded with having multiple threads...one for sketches, one for wips etc. So I will lump them all together. Many times a sketch is turned into a wip or even a carving and a carving into a painting, so I hope you won't be mad at me if a jump around a lot in what I offer.

A little bit about myself to hopefully explain this jumping around. I started off in traditional media (oils and acrylics) as my education was in illustration. Five years after graduating I discovered wood carving and then about six years ago I discovered IFX, digital art and the forum.
I was amazed at what was being produced with pixels and that lead to getting hardware and the software to use this new media. There is definitely a steep learning curve but I love the ability to pick it up and put it down without having to clean brushes or clean up saw dust. :woohoo:
As I struggle to wrap my brain around resolution, gamut, and the interface I hope you can help with advice, critiques and comments....well here we go.

found a toned paper sketchbook so dug out my charcoal and conte pencils

Can never resist a horse portrait

Or anything horse :cheer:

This ones for Kazky hope she's had some luck finding her bird.

This is fun adding multiple images. All above are from photo reference with the exception of the cockatoo but I did have to get some reference for it when I realized I wasn't getting the leg attachment right...his head is to big but the beak is what you watch out for. :blink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Aug 2015 07:38 #11968 by Charlotte
A little bit of everything and irregular updates are fine with me - my wip thread is the same, after all :)

Very nice sketches! (You seem to have created two threads, though, so I'm guessing the one without images should be deleted?)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

05 Aug 2015 14:21 #11980 by hobbyhorse
Yes, if you could kindly delete the image free one. I saw that there were two but I don't know what I did to get them except I was a bit impatient and stopped the download before it was done. I thought it had frozen up since nothing seemed to be happening, my bad.

I like how your thread has a variety of images in different stages of completion.

Thank You

05 Aug 2015 15:32 #11981 by Charlotte
Looks like Banj beat me to it :) Shadow thread is gone!

06 Aug 2015 18:23 #11983 by Valence
That's a nice collection of sketches. I do like black and white on toned paper, it's so easy to pick out forms in that way, it almost feels like sculpting. I always have trouble with charcoal though, so very brittle and far too easy to smudge for messy folks like me. I should use fixatives really but I can never be bothered :)
I think that's the big difference when going from traditional to digital, there's suddenly less need for the practical preparations of surfaces and the inherent mess. And you can cover mistakes more easily. The downside is that when you've finished a painting in Photoshop or Artrage or whatever you finally have ... just a file! There is something rewarding about having actual sketches like these to show people.

19 Aug 2015 22:52 #12065 by hobbyhorse
Thanks Valence. I need it portable so I use charcoal pencils rather that sticks. A lot less messy and they come in different hardnesses, a conte' pencil for the white...all fits in a zip lock bag with a sharpener.
I have been working on this one for awhile. Started as a sketch posted in other site and wanted to color it in. Learned a great deal but think I will call it quits.

First the sketch...as a reminder.

Then the colored version
Attachments:

20 Aug 2015 13:22 #12071 by Valence
I like the way you changed the composition, it's always nice when a picture evolves into something more than the initial sketch and using the trees and the foliage as a frame within the picture is very clever.
Also the warmth of the colour in the grass makes the sunlight of the day seem really tangible. I can almost feel the heat on my skin, the cool breeze in the shadows and smell the grass and hear birds that you haven't even painted. It's a very evocative picture.

20 Aug 2015 13:33 #12072 by hobbyhorse
Thank you Valence. I tried to get that feeling across but when you look at it for so long you're never really sure it will translate that feeling to the viewer.
And I have a way of nit picking it, so is it looking how I intended or just in my mind's eye.

20 Aug 2015 16:34 #12075 by Charlotte
I think I remember the sketch from the old site, actually :) The finished painting is looking GREAT (yes! With all caps!)

I agree with Valence the light/shadow on all the greenery is really wonderfully done :cheer:

22 Aug 2015 20:33 #12096 by hobbyhorse
Thank you Charlotte. I don't remember if it was you or Kazky or someone else that bemoaned that the unicorns were fenced in. So I added the sign in the final painting...if you can read it...kind of small