April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Morisith Stumbled in

25 May 2015 20:23 #10796 by Morisith
Hiya!

I stumbled over this place when I decided to dust of my imaginefx account (but that was long gone lol). So I thought the best way to greet new and old people was to post a WiP thread. I think I was Morisith back then - but honestly I have no clue, might have been terror too - or maybe formicidae, honestly I hve far too many online handles for my own mental well being xD

Anyways! On to the WiP's

(still very rough WiP)
Trying to draw a portrait of my pup, I lost her over a year ago, and in the 8 years she lived and this after I have still never drawn her - just haven't been able to. So here is my first honest and real try at her ^^ I'm really lacking in the contrast and shadow department - so if you see anything that can make it better feel free to shout at me.

File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 May 2015 20:58 - 25 May 2015 21:31 #10797 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Morisith Stumbled in
Hi there Morisith. We're always happy to capture the old members from the previous site. Did I say "capture"? :dry: Sounds evil, I meant "welcome". Yes that's right, welcome. ;)

You're right, the picture of your lovely dog is currently dark but it's right to work up the values slowly and build the form gradually. If you're working from a reference photo check out the position of the opposite eye, they're always the most difficult when they're only just visible in that way. Then as you build the forms think about using some warm and cool lights from opposing sides to help turn the surfaces away from us and make the image pop out from the toned background.
It's an excellent start though and it's always nice to paint a much-missed pet.

25 May 2015 21:12 #10798 by Morisith
Replied by Morisith on topic Morisith Stumbled in
Hehe, the Mori in my names means both Death and Forest - so maybe I'll fit right in :P

And thanks! I tried doing blue light as highlight and red as shadows, opposite of what is normal probably but it fits better with the image - an I could see the difference right away! I'll post another WiP once there is more difference ^^

25 May 2015 22:31 - 25 May 2015 23:06 #10799 by Morisith
Oups ended up as a doublepost - but I'll forgive myself (even if it's not my job :P )

It seems it ended up as a speedpaint rather than an actual finished image, maybe one day I will make it properly finished - so critique still wanted - but not today or in the super near future ^^

File Attachment:

ref in case you wanted to see;

File Attachment:

I didn't want it to be exactly as the ref image - as I don't really want to copy it. though I changed the other eye back to pretty non visible as the ref suggest - just less wonky with the pose ^^

Edit; also just have to share this one of her; morisith.deviantart.com/art/Happy-pup-217535021 She is my bby so don't judge xD

25 May 2015 23:39 #10801 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Morisith Stumbled in
Very nicely done. You can see the sloppy wet shine to the nose! :P Just like all dogs!
You should be very pleased with the way you've caught her personality.

26 May 2015 11:10 #10805 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Morisith Stumbled in
Welcome back Morisith :) I do remember you and I'm pretty sure you used Morisith at the IFX forum as well.

There's great progress in your dog portrait from the first image to the second - and I love the photo of her in the rain. She was one happy dog that day!

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

27 May 2015 02:33 - 27 May 2015 05:30 #10815 by Morisith
Hehe, she was a stupid and drooly one - so a wet nose is mandatory.

Got myself into an art trade somehow (actually not that uncommon - I love these things <3 ) and my task is to draw her "Baku" character, a dreameater. The First WiP is super messy as per usual - but I think I got the colour scheme down. I'm thinking of doing the baku as a darky navy blue'ish - with maybe some galaxy/star theme on the skin. or maybe a tiger & Bard's tapir stripes with a night theme - who knows. I really struggle on what I should put in the right side of the image though, I want a big city frontground theme with skyscrapers on the left and some smaller house in the front. Any suggestions welcome.

File Attachment:

I kept at it a bit more. Slowly getting a plan for what to do ^^ Decided to go for some close up for the right side to balance it a bit more out. I usually draw in very grey and monotone washed out colours - so the bright pink is like a stranger in a back alley for me D: but gotta try it out

File Attachment:

27 May 2015 06:39 #10816 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Morisith Stumbled in
I had to look up Baku first :P Not that the exact nature of the creature is relevant to my suggestions...

1) The baku seems to be leaning to the right - I'd try to straighten it up a bit if I were you
2) There's a diagonal created from the high tower, across the baku head towards the lower building on the other side, but this diagonal doesn't really "serve a purpose" such as leading the eye. I experimented with flipping the surroundings but that just created a similar diagonal in the other direction... But I think maybe if you did the baku even bigger (or rather, the surroundings smaller), so that both foreground and background buildings ended up lower than the creature, that could make it look better balanced as well as more imposing.

Just a couple of thoughts :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

27 May 2015 22:45 #10825 by aonodori
Replied by aonodori on topic Morisith Stumbled in
She looks adorable (your pup) I know you said you didn't want critique for the near future but the only thing I notice is that the snout is a bit extended, which kind of makes her look like a different breed in the drawing. But as I said.... Adorable :)

The colours for your art trade are really playful and they make me think of Adventure Time or Bee and PuppyCat. I actually quite like it but I agree with Charlotte, perhaps if you play around with the background rotation? It might make everything look weird but sometimes you just have to fiddle around with an idea until another idea sparks that becomes even better!

30 May 2015 02:37 #10870 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Morisith Stumbled in
Baku piece is looking great! Composition is well balanced as well. Even through it's wip the dark ground blends too well with the Baku's legs. Maybe separate it more with smoke/volumetric fog?