March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Morisith Stumbled in

30 May 2015 14:32 #10875 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Morisith Stumbled in
The monotone works really well with the dog picture. Nice work!

I don't know what Baku is, so I am clueless as to what is going on in that picture! Having a huge blue character is a brave move! Hope it comes off the way you want it.

I quite like the dynamic lean of the horse. It adds interest and dynamism to the piece. Nice start Morisith!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Jun 2015 18:03 #11064 by Morisith
Replied by Morisith on topic Morisith Stumbled in
Thanks for the feedback :D

I've tried working some more with it, messed with the composition to try to make the eye go more towards the back and not the buildings in the background. Also fixed the feet a little bit to get less lean. I still gotta refine the feet and make them different than the ground :)

File Attachment:

10 Jun 2015 20:38 #11095 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Morisith Stumbled in
What is it Mori?

The composition is very tight and compact, which is making it a bit uncomfortable. The low colour contrasts with the legs and feet are making it hard to see too.

Obviously you want the eye drawn to the top of the image to where the halo is, but I am confused as to what it is and what it is it is doing there! Could you give me a bit of backstory?

When all the buildings are painted in, there will be little to make the main character stand out. The colour contrasts are too low. The buildings are all competing for the attention of the eye. Especially the big building in the foreground.

Maybe consider opening up the composition a bit by removing, or scaling down the building on the right.

I think the bridge might look better a bit lower too. If there are cars, or electric lights on the bridge they could add interesting secondary light sources that would add colour and definition to the creature's legs.

One more thing to consider is the position of the front right (our left) leg. Because it runs parallel with the tower of the suspension bridge, it is creating both a tangent and a visual boundary. If we could see a bit of space between the two objects, that will help to sell the scale of the creature and will improve the composition, I think.

Just some ideas.

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

13 Jun 2015 19:18 #11153 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Morisith Stumbled in
Looking good! I think Dom already got most of the problems covered but lowering the saturation of the buildings would also help with the focal point.

13 Jun 2015 22:15 - 14 Jun 2015 00:35 #11157 by Morisith
Replied by Morisith on topic Morisith Stumbled in
Thanks for all the replies ^^

I'm actually going for a more "fantasy / dreamy" look rather than a tightly rendered finish - so no cars or the like. I really want the image to be a little "uneasy" as I want this big Baku thing to come and eat people's dreams. Basically it could be thought of another dimension that is entirely made up of sleep and dreams - I've removed some of the buildings in front and added some more water - I want to keep the big one though. The focus will be moved more to the creature as I plan on using a mild blur on the surroundings.

Also the "Halo" is sort of the moon and sort of halo - the original creature don't have one,but I really enjoy making Halo's on things I draw - especially demons and otherworldly critters ^~^

File Attachment:

Edit; went and finished it; cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/finished...nished-dabbles#11162 I really enjoy marathoning drawing, and then I have no time for feedback :P