March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Dave's Digitals

29 Mar 2021 23:55 #34228 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Dave's Digitals
I keep thinking I'll take my sketchbook with me while going for walks in the forest but even when I do (and it's been quite a while since I even took one of those walks) I seem to never take it out of my backpack... :dry:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Mar 2021 00:19 - 30 Mar 2021 00:23 #34230 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Dave's Digitals

I like those Frazetta-style sketches. They look really dynamic and bold. :)

Thanks. It's the only time I've ever tried to reproduce someone else's work. (Think I was 15 or so when I first got to see them?) But he was the only Artist I can recall seeing work from, other then the other guy, Boris? I believe his name was? ... A good friend of mine I used to draw with all the time "Hook" James Cale, had a couple of his books, and I loved viewing his work.

In the entirety of my life I've only ever filled one sketchbook and that was a small A5 book. I do have a couple that are partially filled (along with two clean ones) but I seem to be sketching less and less these days.

Well, that's one more than me. But I am planning to commit myself to at least doing some works, if I can. ... As I mentioned, I just learned I'm going back to the office starting tomorrow, so plan to take one with me for any down time. (Since the rest of my staff isn't allowed in the building, and will be working from in the field only) So there will only be one other person on the floor with me for a while.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

30 Mar 2021 00:22 #34231 by Digital Dave

I keep thinking I'll take my sketchbook with me while going for walks in the forest but even when I do (and it's been quite a while since I even took one of those walks) I seem to never take it out of my backpack... :dry:

That actually sounds like fun. Something else I've never done, but wished I had now. ... Do you try to find things to draw from, or just sketch while out? I can see having some fun trying to draw some of the wooded areas around you, if you have that ability to do so.

30 Mar 2021 09:42 #34234 by Charlotte
I think you mean Boris Vallejo - he was the first Fantasy artist I found and I loved his work for years until I started feeling it was a bit same old same old... (I'm now following his son's work on insta, though)

and in my hed I will find a beatiful tree and actually manage a wonderful sketch of it, but... I never seem to find the right tree :dumb:

30 Mar 2021 11:59 #34236 by Digital Dave
Yep, Boris Vallejo it was. I think he had one book of his works, along with the others by Frazetta. ... Again, I was only 14 when I met Hook, so that was about the time I first saw either of them. And it was the same type of work I enjoyed to do myself, so I've always enjoyed their works. But since this was 40 years ago :blink: or so, I only got to see what was in those particular books. ... Not having internet & stuff back then.

I can relate... looking for that right tree. :) Hell, If I had a dollar for every time I pulled out a sketchbook & just sat there staring at it for hours without making a mark... well, I'd have quite a few dollars on hand to maybe buy another... sketchbook? :huh: :lol:

30 Mar 2021 12:10 - 30 Mar 2021 12:12 #34237 by Digital Dave
On a side note, is this site running extremely slow for anyone else here presently? ... I got up around 4am, packed up all my gear and brought it back into the office today, since they took me back off teleworking. - But after getting it all hooked back up and running, this site seems to be running terribly slow. It's taking quite a bit of time just to load a thread up, so I checked, & I'm seeing good numbers with my connection?

Attachments:

30 Mar 2021 14:00 #34238 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Dave's Digitals
All seems to be working fine to me :dunno:

30 Mar 2021 14:27 #34239 by Digital Dave
Yeah, I had to step out of the office to review a site, but it's still quite sluggish on my end. Can't say why? All other sites seem to be running fine, but I've only been on a few.

30 Mar 2021 14:28 #34240 by Digital Dave
Seems to be taking about 12 to 15 seconds before it responds to any clicking on a post, threads, etc.?

30 Mar 2021 14:42 #34241 by Charlotte
Works fine for me too and I have nowhere near those upload and download speeds... I don't think... (I just remember having a really low download speed recently...)