April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Dave's Digitals

24 Mar 2021 02:54 - 25 Mar 2021 02:35 #34153 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Dave's Digitals
Ok, so I spent another good part of the evening working on some things. ... Added some elements, some planned, some not so much but just came out whilst working on it. Added some hair I think may help the image work together better, as well as some light clouds that I'm not too sure about just yet? Also did a little touch ups here and there, trying to catch anything I saw or may have missed earlier. Lastly, I ended up working up the BG trees some, basically trying out some light highlights that allowed me to bring some life to them, as well as help show directional limbs, etc. Hope it doesn't lighten them up too much, but I kept thinking the silhouettes were maybe too dark and starting to look like cut-outs.

Also wondered if a different color cape might work better? It's actually too late to try any tonight, but I did wonder if I could change it up some, without drawing too much attention towards it...

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Mar 2021 02:12 - 27 Mar 2021 02:30 #34189 by Digital Dave
Still looking at touching up some of the images I need to finish, but also got in the mood the other night to just sketch out something new, and started playing around some. ... I actually sketched out a face and was thinking of just doing a portrait of sorts with it, but then thoughts started running a little wild as I was really enjoying sketching stuffs... And so things just sort-a kept building with the new ideas, adding more characters, elements, etc. ... Really makes me want to just pull out the sketch books for a while too. I do like to do them on computer, but wouldn't mind having some sketched out traditionally too.

Here was the face I was thinking of doing something with...

And though I'm still not done, this is where it is now after working a few evenings on it...

Went back and doubled the layer, since it appeared a bit light to see...

Attachments:

27 Mar 2021 07:47 #34190 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Dave's Digitals
Looks to me like you DID do something with that face... :P An admirably complex piece - did that guy in the back fall off his chair? And what's that little fella doing up on the roof!? Love the building and those stone walls!

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

27 Mar 2021 19:55 #34194 by Digital Dave
Thanks, and yep, little fella past out on the bench. And not sure just what the hell the guy on the roof it doing. :lol: ... Just kept thinking of things as it went. Think it started looking like a frat-house or something similar. - I should go back and work on detailing it more, or simply throw some colors to it and see where it goes from there?

I did some more sketching today, mostly wanting to go back and just do some practice stuff/warmups...

Attachments:

28 Mar 2021 00:59 #34197 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Dave's Digitals
Love the complexity of that sketch. Wherever you look there's something interesting going on. :lol:

Nice hands on that last page. Not envious at all. :whistle:

28 Mar 2021 14:46 - 28 Mar 2021 14:48 #34203 by Digital Dave
Thanks. It's been a lot of fun fooling around and drawing some stuff again. - I actually pulled out my sketchbook & pencils last night... but then just stared at it for a very long, slow, while, without even making a freakin' mark. :blink: - Not sure what it is, but I find that sometimes when I try to sketch out something in a sketchbook these days, things just don't come to me like when I'm on the computer? Not sure if it's something to do with the fact of being able to simply delete or change an image digitally, or just that I don't want to 'simply' scribble things in it, but instead to create full blown images? ... I'm dumbfounded about this & this is the only thing I can think of. Doing this for some time now too... :unsure:

28 Mar 2021 15:06 - 28 Mar 2021 15:07 #34205 by Digital Dave
Sadly... here is the sketchbook that I mentioned pulling out. :blush: What's even worse, it that it is a very nice sketchbook that I had picked up, full of very beautiful, white paper. ... and you don't even want to know just how long I've actually had this one.

I feel empty just looking at it...

Attachments:

28 Mar 2021 15:13 #34206 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Dave's Digitals
I'm always frightened of doing something rubbish on the first page so I make sure to start my sketchbooks in the middle on a page that can be pulled out if I don't like it. :P

28 Mar 2021 15:32 #34208 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Dave's Digitals
The prettier the sketchbook the less likely it is to be used... :dry:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

28 Mar 2021 15:57 - 28 Mar 2021 15:59 #34210 by Digital Dave
Yeah, I was thinking it might be something along those lines too... I was even thinking of maybe trying something very simplistic just to put something in it to begin with. Even if I work up the details some after getting it down on paper... but I still find that I'm not the type of person who has the ability to rough sketch ideas out as I see others do so wonderfully. - But I really wish I could, and it's one thing that I have always been envious of. ... I think I try to draw things out too accurately from the start, and it's just something I've never learned to do, but always felt was missing from my personal abilities. I actually find some of those works to be fantastic, and enjoy looking at them more than actual fully rendered images sometimes. Can't explain it really? Maybe because I can't do it?

I also don't know if it's something that I can properly learn to do at this point? It's almost like leaving an image undone to me... Something I simply fail at.