March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Dave's Digitals

20 Mar 2021 04:26 #34100 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Dave's Digitals
Well, though I've been working on a couple of the last images I was working on, trying to get them finished up... I also wanted to pull up something new to work on at the same time. Figured time away working on the newer one, might help with creativity. So I started working on one I simply sketched a while back, mostly to work on the face and play around with it. But after a while, I started seeing something else in it, so made some changes I hope works better?

Here I just started playing around with the face some, with the original sketch idea...

But kept thinking of changing it up, and for some reason, adding a cloak of sorts...

So I've resized the image now for a closer view, more like a portrait. Plus still thinking of what I want to add, so he's not just standing there... Maybe holding a staff, or some sort of pole-weapon, or possibly a staff/pole with a light for the light source? Might allow me to play around some more.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Mar 2021 16:12 - 20 Mar 2021 16:13 #34105 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Dave's Digitals
Love the light in those eyes staring out of the darkness.

It reminds me (in a good way) of that black leopard photo that was all over Reddit a few weeks back.

Adding a dark sky scene like that to the background would look really good and could help to reveal the silhouette in a subtle way without needing to commit to details.

22 Mar 2021 18:23 #34122 by Digital Dave
Thanks... I actually had a similar thought as to a night sky. I actually have a Moon started on one layer, but don't have it turned on. Still unsure, but was also thinking maybe some vegetation, woodsy silhouettes showing on the sides to break it up some and help set the BG? (I don't work Dark to Light too often, but I do find it quite fun. :) I just find I might stay too Dark sometimes, since everything pops with any light.)

I did work on it a little this weekend, mostly trying out some ideas...

Attachments:

23 Mar 2021 17:24 #34131 by Digital Dave
Ended up putting too much time in on this yesterday. Was only planning to do a little, but just kept going. But between the details on the Antlers, sky and BG, my eyes were killing me before going to bed.

I'm still not sure on something I threw in, which is the arm/wrist thingy. Don't know which works better? I though it would compliment the Hoody, but not sure if it looks better without?

Image without...

Image with...

Attachments:

23 Mar 2021 19:02 #34133 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Dave's Digitals
Love the background :)
And I think the arm thingy (brace?) works quite well. The arm itself feels a bit buff compared to the character's face, but the arm thingy actually reduces that "discrepancy". I say keep it :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Digital Dave

23 Mar 2021 20:02 #34135 by Digital Dave
Thanks, I am still thinking of adding some clouds to the BG too, but I wasn't sure if it would add or take away from the overall image? And sort-a agree with the arm piece being buff. Wasn't supposed to appear buff, but whilst shortening, I couldn't seem to avoid that without it looking extra thin. Plus, thought it might add to the outfit but wasn't sure if adding any sort of symbol/s on it might help it not look so plain? ... I just didn't want to go too crazy, maybe something like insignia you see in things like Assassins Creed. A simple symbol or something stamped on it, or just something to add to it's existing smoothness.

23 Mar 2021 20:37 #34139 by Valence
I like the wrist thingie too. They often work as a great way to understand and visually explain how the hand connects with the arm in the pose.
I'd be tempted to lower the top edge of it a little bit but then again I'm not the sort of person who offers credible advice about hands. :lol:

23 Mar 2021 20:42 #34140 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Dave's Digitals
It does look like it covers the lower part of the hand but I like that, I don't think it needs changing ;)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

23 Mar 2021 20:57 #34144 by Valence
And that is why you should never listen to me regarding hands. :)

23 Mar 2021 21:24 #34147 by Digital Dave
Haha... I actually envisioned it being one of those that crosses over between thumb and forefinger... The one that helps hold it in place? But wasn't sure that would come across with the current angle and lack of visual... maybe I can adjust the hand some to show it better? Thanks.