April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Dave's Digitals

16 Aug 2020 00:12 - 16 Aug 2020 00:37 #30644 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Dave's Digitals
Well, I'm still working on the other image, but just felt like sketching a little today. So while dinner was being made I just started putting lines on the screen. ... Though not sure if I'm liking the wings just yet?

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Sep 2020 23:23 - 02 Sep 2020 23:29 #30891 by Digital Dave
Well, I've only had a little time here and there to jump back on this one for short stints at a time. So it is dragging out a little longer then I had thought it would. But I do get lost doing the detail work too. I only started working on the Characters the other night, but didn't have much time, and then went ahead and added the new critter I was going to do last. But got to thinking I might need to see it in the image to move forward a bit better. Hopefully I can get back to it some this weekend. ... Oh, I did go ahead and change her face up some too. I kept looking at her, and for some reason I kept feeling she was having a sarcastic look to her, instead of a smile or happy expression. So I also took some of the chunky-ness out of her face as well, but now think her limbs may look a bit too thick now? ... I'll revisit later, feeling slightly under the weather presently with some sinus issues. :)

Attachments:

03 Sep 2020 01:06 #30892 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Dave's Digitals
I think her limbs still look fine but that background is awesome. Especially like the dirt as it drops into the water and the mushrooms. Feel better soon Dave!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Digital Dave

04 Sep 2020 19:59 #30912 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Dave's Digitals
I know we've all mentioned it before but the detail in that ground is still amazing! :)

One thing that has just caught my eye is that the water at the horizon looks darker than that in the foreground. A little bit of subtle airbrushing on that layer to push it further into the distance would add even more depth to an already satisfying image.

Hope your sinuses improve too!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Digital Dave

04 Sep 2020 22:52 - 04 Sep 2020 22:54 #30920 by Digital Dave
Thanks, guys. And yep, feeling a bit better indeed. But I've always had bad sinus issues and it acts up from time to time. ... As to the water Valence, that may be my fault from a recent change? If you recall, I had some of the larger vegetation going up near the center, and the Dragon-Bug, that I started thinking was causing a tangent and wasn't looking right. And since I flattened the image, I had to go back and repaint it out of the pic, and then made some of the smaller blades. But I also worked the water some more, trying to add some movement and waves. So I might have added some even darker tones while doing so. Will definitely revisit and also check how it appears Posterized... Yep, it's definitely darker then it needs to be, especially with the bright sky. I'll see if I can lighten it up with a 50% Grey layer. (I've really been using that method a lot since originally learning of it years ago) And thanks for the fresh eyes guys. :)

Here's the image Posterized 3

Attachments:

19 Mar 2021 01:07 #34077 by Digital Dave
Has anyone even resized an image to a very large scale, and not realize it? ... Past few days I've been trying to spend some time on some of the images I was working on before falling off the planet again... but just realized the latest image I had, is now showing to be much, much larger than what I had it set to a while back? It was about 4 times larger than I recall, and I swear I don't recall doing it? I just reduced it back some, but it was around 20,000+ by 25,000 pixels, which is three to four times the size I've ever used. - Just found it strange overall.

19 Mar 2021 12:37 #34079 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Dave's Digitals
I did something like that just a few weeks back. I normally paint at about 3,500 and while scaling up the shorter side to 2,800 I foolishly hadn't deleted all of the numbers that were previously there in the text box so it ended up resizing it to 12,800. I didn't notice what I'd done and wondered why my PC slowed to a halt and crashed. :dumb:
Poor thing didn't have enough memory left to run Windows

19 Mar 2021 15:19 #34083 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Dave's Digitals
:dry:
I think I have once shrunk and saved the image by accident, but never enlarged it...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

19 Mar 2021 15:23 #34085 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Dave's Digitals
It's pretty easy to add an extra zero when typing in numbers. I don't tend to resize much except sizing down for final output.

19 Mar 2021 17:40 #34089 by Digital Dave
It's just odd that when I checked back to earlier versions, I show I had enlarged it when I started getting into the detailing & it was set at 6000 Height, which set the Width at 4891. - Then last night, 25,000 x 20,000 something?

I wasn't planning on going larger, so just can't figure out how it happened really? But it's been a while, so not sure if I'll ever figure it out. But did reduce it back down some, 8000 x 6521. ... It still worked at that larger size, but it did take about 10-12 seconds when I hit save. But don't think I need an image set to 65" x 80" something size.