April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Dave's Digitals

20 Jul 2020 14:35 #30221 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Dave's Digitals
The deeper values are really making this picture come to life now. And the arrowhead frame is a brilliant idea! :thumbup:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Digital Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jul 2020 00:22 #30238 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Dave's Digitals
Thanks folks... Actually Charlotte, I've been going back and forth as to the bottom. Part of me wanted to take her bodice, or leather shirt? down to the bottom... but then the other part kept saying, no, it should show the arrowhead. So yeah, that has been a thought issue. But if you look at the 2nd or 3rd update, you can actually see I had plans to have her right hand in the scene, with the Bear's Claw attached over hers. But again, still on the fence with that as well. - I also had plans to add some sort of details or at least some markings on the arrowhead, so taking the entire body to the bottom won't be bad, especially if I happen to add some slight, lightly seen background, such as distant trees, mountains, etc. ... I'll work on it. Thanks!

Thanks, Valence. I sometimes worry about going too dark when working in grey scale, but I can say I stay away from solid black, but sometimes it gets worked in to where it gets close. ... And yeah, the idea of it having an Arrowhead background just came to me as I was working it, and it just made sense. :) Thanks!

I plan to give it a few days to hopefully come back with fresh eyes, but might do some doodling in the meantime. Thanks again...

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

21 Jul 2020 01:58 #30240 by Digital Dave
Actually doodled for about an hour or so, but wasn't sure where it was going... Wanted to know what she was looking at, etc. The Wife said 'why not a Dragon-Fly'? I had told her I was watching a YouTube video on Dragonflies today, which was pretty neat. So think I might try shooting for that later, since I ran out of time for tonight. - Just wanted to drop this in here for the time being.

Attachments:

22 Jul 2020 23:17 #30281 by Digital Dave
Playing around with the bg and scene for this...

Attachments:

23 Jul 2020 01:31 #30283 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Dave's Digitals
I like the shoe hanging off the foot. It's a clever little detail that adds to the mood of the character. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Digital Dave

23 Jul 2020 22:22 - 23 Jul 2020 22:23 #30298 by Digital Dave
Thanks, I was just thinking how to place her feet, and thought straight down might be a bit boring. So I actually thought of trying to have her dangling by her big toe, but then decided to just have it hang off all the toes and it seemed to work.

25 Jul 2020 15:25 #30322 by Digital Dave
Stayed up a little late last night, putting in some more time on this one. I'm just playing around with it some this morning too, before getting a bite to eat and starting any work around the house. ... Thinking it might be close to being done, but I'm just going over it to see if anything's a miss, or at least anything that stands out. (Thought some fresh eyes might see stuff I've just gotten used to seeing. :) ) ... Might play around with adding some color as well? Probably sometime over this weekend.

Attachments:

28 Jul 2020 12:07 #30381 by Digital Dave
Forgot to log-out yesterday, so couldn't post until I got to work. But I finished adding some color to this one last night. Think I'm done with it...

Attachments:

28 Jul 2020 12:08 #30382 by Digital Dave
Here's the B&W version...

Attachments:

01 Aug 2020 13:49 #30456 by Digital Dave
Been getting slammed with bad storms, so have spent some time here and there on this image...

Decided to just add color, and see how it might work.

Used a 50% grey layer to quickly throw in some shading, but wasn't liking all the blue in the bg, and wanted to backlight the Fairy, so changed the sky up some, as well as some of the basic colors.

Attachments: