April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Dave's Digitals

15 Jul 2020 21:24 #30176 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Dave's Digitals
Thanks, Charlotte and Valence. ... Yeah, I hadn't got to the eyes yet. My Wife was driving me batty last night. She's been sitting there watching me work, and last night she kept telling me her eyes were different sized, pupils didn't seem to match, etc. etc. And I kept telling her I hadn't even started working on them yet! :) ... But I did think they were set too high as I added the shading in, so the last thing I did was move them down some and slightly inward... and yep, then the Wife started saying 'now you have to lower the eye-brows.' ... Told her good night and went to bed. :) ... Thanks again.

And yep, Charlotte. I'm still pulling produce every few days out of the Garden and actually heading out there now, just once I eat a bite real quick. But I'm going to try and set aside an hour or so to work on this some. Just means coming back in a little earlier, which with all the Sun Burn I've been getting the past few weeks, I don't mind.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Jul 2020 02:04 #30187 by Digital Dave
Took the night off from working, as I've been doing these past weeks, and after making the family dinner say down and worked on the image some more. I tried a few ideas for the necklace/neck area, which I wasn't really liking. I also had an idea of a possible background? Not sure yet, but it just came to me as I was working on it. But it's been fun so far. :) ... I also didn't mean to leave the slightly noticeable hand/claw on the bottom left. It was another idea that I'm not sure will be included?

Attachments:

17 Jul 2020 07:44 #30188 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Dave's Digitals
I have a necklace similar to that! (Which I might have used once? In my University days, maybe.... :dry:)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

17 Jul 2020 09:19 #30189 by Digital Dave
Cool, you should share a pic if you come across it. ... I just wasn't feeling the first one, and tried a few others, but then didn't like the connection either, so changed it. Wasn't sure if it left her chest area too bare, so added the claw on there to help, I hope? ... As you probably have seen, my Wife has asked me to post the Wips for this one on FB as well. She thinks some might like to see how it progresses, which I've done once before with another image. But think it might be easier to just share the finished image. I really don't post too much on there. :)

17 Jul 2020 11:04 - 17 Jul 2020 11:07 #30192 by Charlotte
Wasn't sure I knew where it was after the move but it was roght where it should be. Now if only everythibg else could be where it should be, it would be so much easier to find stuff...

Anyway in case you'd like a bit of a ref...

It really doesn't want to stay nicely in place which is one reason I never used it much...

EDIT: and dang that new phone takes huge pics even when cropped... :blink:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Digital Dave

18 Jul 2020 22:26 - 18 Jul 2020 22:28 #30201 by Digital Dave
Wouldn't it be nice if everything was where it was supposed to be! :) And thanks, It's sort of how I had the beads placed on this one, though I haven't zoomed it to work on them yet. Just some quick shading...

I ended up staying up a little late last night with some stomach issues, so I worked on this some more. I ended up changing her eyes too, lowering them. - You were right, it did make her looked more tired and I couldn't seem to get them to work as I had initially thought, looking from under lowered brows... but do think they look better now. Even though I still haven't given her any eye-lashes yet, just some shading. - I also played around with different BG's, and decided to keep it light on Dark, but still need to add some details to them. Finished adding the hair I hadn't put in and gave the bear some quick shape for now, but plan to work on all that hair here soon. :blink: Still haven't really come up with a name, but at least labeled it 'Arrowhead', instead of just 'New' :)

Attachments:

18 Jul 2020 23:44 #30202 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Dave's Digitals
Welcome back Dave, good to see more of your work.
I particularly love the idea of presenting this one on an flint arrowhead.
My wife used to sell chunky jewellery like that some time ago, before it became popular.
Great work on the hair by the way, I really get a sense of its volume and texture.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

19 Jul 2020 04:32 #30204 by Digital Dave
Thanks, Atto. Just nice to put something down for a change, after so long. I've been enjoying it. ... Thanks.

20 Jul 2020 02:09 #30218 by Digital Dave
Put in a little more work on this one this morning, and some in the evening. But think I will give it a break for a few days to come back with fresh eyes. The hair took some time and will only need a little more work and then hopefully I can finish up the final detailing...

Attachments:

20 Jul 2020 13:42 #30220 by Charlotte
One thing I think you should try is to make the lowermost bit of the arrow shape the same light-medium grey as the bodice. I think it looks a bit strange with the pale "rim" at the bottom, and since the background is so very dark comparatively, you can afford to darken the arrow shape a bit. Come to think of it, besides making the lower bit darker, making one half (vertically) darker as well, could emphasise the arrow shape even more.