April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Dave's Digitals

16 May 2019 19:41 #24759 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Dave's Digitals
In addition to Charlotte's observations I'd also keep the distant mountains paler. Darkening them pushes them forward and reduces the depth in the landscape.
The colours are looking lovely though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 May 2019 23:29 #24760 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Dave's Digitals
Thanks... And yeah, I was planning to lighten the sky back up, but think overworked them too much when adding the colors in. I noticed it was darken too. :dunno: Guess I was paying too much attention to the clouds themselves, and not the overall look. But I will be lightening it some. - Also, I sort-of brushed over the mountains, and so just quickly blocked the shapes back in, but won't be going with the original blueish color I was thinking at first. ... Just been having a bit of fun, just sitting down and doing something. :)

Thanks again, will see if I can get it sorted some, and see if I can take on your advices.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

17 May 2019 01:21 - 17 May 2019 01:34 #24761 by Digital Dave
Ok, so I just did some quick adjustments to see if it's all starting to read a little better. Actually liking the darker color, but then again, I wasn't really set on anything and I have a habit of just throwing in color and then just change things anyway. But I am liking the dark brown I think.

Attachments:

17 May 2019 01:28 #24762 by Digital Dave
I also just noticed that the image is coming out a lot less vibrant or vivid? ... I'll post a side by side, but have a feeling they will then both have this issue?

Attachments:

17 May 2019 01:31 - 17 May 2019 01:34 #24763 by Digital Dave
Here is a screenshot, instead of my saving for web, etc. ... I might have to check those settings if this one comes through better? I know I've had this issue before, but it's been a while and I can't remember the fix.

Edit after posting... Yep, for some reason it is indeed losing some of the vibrant colors when I'm saving it as a PNG, so settings will have to be looked into. Hopefully it looks closer this way. I opened both in a new window and I can clearly see the muted colors in the save for Web option.

Attachments:

17 May 2019 08:53 #24767 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Dave's Digitals
Can't remember what the issue was when images change like that, either. Glad you found a work around :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

17 May 2019 11:51 #24773 by Valence
I have never, in all my life, used the "save for web" menu option.
I always manually resize and then goto Export image.

I don't know if that's better or worse but I've never had an issue that way.

15 Jul 2020 01:45 #30162 by Digital Dave
Hey there Folks... I hope you all are doing well in these crazy times. I actually stopped in a couple times over the past couple months, but to be honest, I haven't done a damn thing when it comes to art lately. I've been extremely busy with work, both at work and home, and the home stuff is mostly doing some projects I've put off for a while. Plus been working a lot outside with the Yard, Garden, etc... But a few nights ago I actually felt like doodling some which felt great to do. And the wife was sitting in the chair near me just watching and happened to take to one I was fooling with, so I decided to work it up some and see where it goes. ... I'm not crazy about the neck piece, so presently thinking of some alternatives, but did work on it again tonight some, mainly adding some shading to start building it up.

Here's the initial quick sketch, that didn't get erased like the 4 or 5 before it. Just felt nice to move the pen around the tablet some.

And here it is just throwing in some shading tonight...

Attachments:

15 Jul 2020 07:12 #30163 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Dave's Digitals
Nice to see you getting away from all the squash harvesting for a while! :D

For the girl, once you added shadow her eyes look a bit tired. Seeing as she seems to tilt her head forward and look "slightly up" at us, I think there would be more "eyebrow" and less eyelid. (And with eyebrow I mean the flesh under the brow but over the lid...) I think that might help make her look more focused and less tired. :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

15 Jul 2020 19:33 #30175 by Valence
Looking good so far.
The "whites" of the eyes are standing out for me at the moment, but it should be fine as you keep layering the cast shadows and shading.

Good to see you back and painting! :)