April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Dave's Digitals

25 Oct 2017 22:11 #18862 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Dave's Digitals
Thanks, Atto. I'm actually still working on the wings, adding some detail and tones. I understand what ya mean about the crow having the blue tint, and believe this is related to the shiny black color they normally have. ... I do plan to add some color where I can along with the details, but not sure just how at the moment. Just seem to go with the moment while working, but hopefully it comes out ok.

Hope to have an update soon, but my back has been hurting very badly over the past two weeks. I'm not sure from what just yet, but I'm thinking possibly kidney related? ... I did speak with my doctor since she lives three houses down from us and we happened to have been at her house this past weekend for an early Halloween party. I dropped off a urine sample yesterday which came back fine, but I also have an appointment for next Friday.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Oct 2017 10:28 #18866 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Dave's Digitals

I dropped off a urine sample yesterday which came back fine...

:blink: at her house? :dumb:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

26 Oct 2017 11:37 #18868 by Digital Dave
Haha... No.

Food, fun and good time = Her House

Urine Sample = Doctor's Office (the next day)

Now I'm not saying that someone, somewhere, hasn't provided a urine sample during a get-together at one time or another... but the question is, was it intentional? :P

26 Oct 2017 17:42 #18880 by Digital Dave
Think I will call this one finished... unless something jumps out to me later.

Attachments:

26 Oct 2017 18:42 #18882 by Charlotte
I love how you did the sky and the way the colours are consistent throughout yet the contrast is greatest in the foreground so we get the right sense of depth. I do feel that the colouring/shading on the "short-hair" part of the body is a bit less contrasty pushing that part back a bit compared to the rest of the animal, though :)

26 Oct 2017 21:08 #18885 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Dave's Digitals
Looks great Dave. I love the way you've handled the rock in the foreground and all the lovely textures on the 'bird' are very convincing.

On the subject of kidneys I suffer regular occurrences of kidney stones (every 3 years or so due to the high protein diet I have to be on and the lack of a certain chemical in my body). The urine test should have easily ruled stones out so I'm glad you won't have to go through that. A blood test should show more detail of what's going on in there. Most kidney related stuff is easily treated with drugs so don't get to concerned.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

26 Oct 2017 21:34 #18886 by Digital Dave
Thanks, Charlotte. And yeah, I get the same about the fine feathers not being as contrasty, as you say. I noticed that too and honestly didn't know how to handle that? Maybe something will come to mind where It won't lose the existing look?

Thanks, Atto. And no, I don't think I've ever had stones, but my wife has a couple times. I know it's not fun. ... I'm not sure why my back is acting up? It seems to be just when I turn or bend in a certain way or area, and then I get a sharp pain that shoots through me. Then it just hurts slightly until the next time it hits. I can tell ya, when I cough or sneeze, it's awful, because I know it's coming. ... I was just guessing kidney related myself because of where the pain is, but my Doctor also said she doesn't think it's kidney related when we spoke at her house. We'll find out I guess? ... Could actually just be a cold in my back as well? I used to get them quite a bit when I was younger, but did spend more time outside in inclement weather.

Thanks again

27 Oct 2017 13:56 #18900 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Dave's Digitals
Expanding the sky behind the creature was a really good decision. It's solved all those dominant colour problems and allowed much more consistent detail across the picture.
And you always do such amazing clouds! :envious:

27 Oct 2017 13:59 #18902 by Charlotte
yeah they look very cloudy :P

27 Oct 2017 15:23 #18908 by Digital Dave
Thanks. ... I was actually going to go with the more traditional soft, fluffy cloud look. But for some reason these seem to fit the mood better. I did place some softer clouds down lower, thinking they were down in the valley some, but also not to stand out as much.

Thanks again.