April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

comitofobe's WIP's

26 Jan 2015 22:05 #8430 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic comitofobe's WIP's
It grew on her too!! ----> Badoom boom!!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Jan 2015 22:10 #8431 by comitofobe
Replied by comitofobe on topic comitofobe's WIP's
:D

26 Jan 2015 22:26 - 26 Jan 2015 22:27 #8432 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic comitofobe's WIP's
Personally, I would think if they did indeed grew on her, or with her, that they might be just-a-little bit stretched more?

:laugh:

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

27 Jan 2015 19:16 #8462 by comitofobe
Well... Im trying to not overthink it :lol:

31 Jan 2015 17:27 #8608 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic comitofobe's WIP's
Nice piece! I think the tattoos on her body could use better blending with the skin. You can try different blending modes like overlay (I think it' called that) that do just that. Right now they look like stickers imposed on. Hope this helps.

01 Feb 2015 13:25 #8634 by comitofobe
Thanks, Crankshaft :)
For the compliment and the input.
I do agree with you about the sticker-vibe one gets when looking at the image. In fact, thats why i started this thread. Wanting to know if anybody could help me.
The suggestion about changing the layer setting has been made earlier and i've played around with it a bit. Overlay seem to almost completely absorb the tattoos in to the skin, leaving a brightly colored shadow. The only thing that seems to better the image is layer set to multiply and reducing the opacity by about 20-25%.
It still does not look very convincing though. And at this point i'm thinking i'll have to change the over all color of the tattoos to better blend them with the skin.

01 Feb 2015 15:19 - 01 Feb 2015 15:21 #8636 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic comitofobe's WIP's
Multiply is definitely the closest analogue to transparent inks. One thing you may want to do is make sure the darks of the tattoo image have a dull blue/green colour to them rather than just black. Also once you have the tattoo layer set to multiply play around with the Hue-Saturation-Value adjustments just on that layer and maybe Levels too and when you get something you like switch the layer back to Normal to see what colours to use next time,

03 Feb 2015 15:27 #8719 by Kodabble
Replied by Kodabble on topic comitofobe's WIP's
Hey Comtofobe,
First off I haven't said welcome to the forum. So... Welcome :woohoo: !
Came across this tutorial on doing a tattoo and thought about your little lady.
Don't know if it will help but here is the link
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.466021...7144088320217&type=1

Good Luck with your work and looking forward to more work.

05 Feb 2015 16:48 #8770 by comitofobe
Hi, Valence :)
Thanks for the tip about the colours. I had unfortunately already started recolouring them with a dark blue. Dont know why i chose that particular colour. I guess i was afraid to go too far off the reservation, since every time i use the paint bucket tool i still have to repaint all the edges that gets distorted. Both outer and inner. And it is a chore.
There may be a better option for changing the colours but i am not that well versed in the technical side of photoshop. I'll have to look in to it :)

05 Feb 2015 16:58 #8772 by comitofobe
Thank you, Kodabble :)
Im happy to see how welcoming and helpful all the people of the forums seem to be.
You sure found a great tutorial. Saved to bookmarks! And mad respect to the original tutorial-maker, Serge Birault.
I'm not sure i can use it in this particular image if i dont want to start from scratch with the tattoo-layer. I'll check it out some more and at the very least it will help me in future endeavours.