April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Cherrys Fantasies

05 Mar 2015 06:18 #9362 by CherryGraphics
Replied by CherryGraphics on topic Cherrys Fantasies

EDIT **now I have stolen Cherry's thread!!*** Sorry Cherry! ***

Hahahahahaha this will cost you something my dear. At least .....an ice. With cherrys and chocolate and yoghurt. Or just a chocolate bar. Or gummy bears ..... nope. No gummy bears - I still have to fight against them. xD

No just kidding :D :woohoo: It's always helpful to discuss such things - use my thread as you like :D

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Mar 2015 08:48 #9364 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Cherrys Fantasies
Well, I try to vary line width quite a bit for my colouring book pages. But they're not commissioned of course. Anyway, digitally the easiest way would probably to just turn off pen pressure?

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

05 Mar 2015 12:18 #9367 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Cherrys Fantasies
Ok... but this is only because Cherry gave me permission to hijack this thread!!

Turning off the pen pressure will work to an extent. You could get the same effect just using a mouse instead of a stylus too, but the problem of line wonkiness (which was Cherry's gripe in the first place) would still be there. I believe the pen tool might be the answer, but I don't have a pen tool on my version of PSE, so I am a bit stuck really.

You did a lovely line drawing of fish not so long back Charlotte. Is that one of the colouring book pages you are talking about? If so, I would like to explore that a bit more as I thought it was absolutely beautiful!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

05 Mar 2015 12:29 #9369 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Cherrys Fantasies
Smooth lines (if you don't have software that includes line smoothing, such as Artrage and Manga Studio): lazynezumi.com

05 Mar 2015 12:52 #9371 by Domtopia
WoW Banj!!! That looks amazing!!

That's exactly what I am after!!! Thanks mate!

05 Mar 2015 14:18 #9372 by CherryGraphics
I don't want to interrupt you...

just let me place a little update between your discussion. :whistle: :lol:

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

05 Mar 2015 14:43 - 05 Mar 2015 14:44 #9375 by Domtopia
Nice update Cherry.

Good colour choices and I like the style in the hair. Good start!

There are a few minor tweaks I think you could make. For example, her hair and forehead could be raised a bit because at the moment they look too low and shallow I think. There's also a little too much distance between her chin and neck. Maybe bringing that closer could help too.

I have a done a paintover to help show what I'm talking about. Like I said, they are minor changes, but might be worth looking at.

Looking forward to more from you Cherry.

P.S. I definitely owe you an ice cream now!!

Attachments:

05 Mar 2015 16:24 #9381 by Charlotte
Cherry, I agree with Dom about the hair and the neck looking a bit off, but since I love Art Nouveau I couldn't resist comparing it to the most similar ones of Mucha's images that I could think of, and do a little line over trying to mimic his outlines. Of course you might not want your image to look like a Mucha replica but anyway, there are three things I see:
  • the hair (not necessarily where it hides the forehead since it folds, but higher up there should be more skull + hair)
  • the neck (it seems a bit too slender as is)
  • the right shoulder (this of course depends on the exact posture which is hard to see underneath the clothes, but it still seems to me the shoulder is a bit too wide)

Dom: yes the fishies were from my "colouring book" (of a whopping three pages so far). Like Banj points out ArtRage has a smoothing option so that certainly helps, and beyond that I mostly try to use line weight to show what's at the front and what's further back. Both generally and where shapes overlap.

Attachments:

06 Mar 2015 07:18 #9390 by CherryGraphics
Ah thanks :)

Yes the thing with her neck I knew. There is more neck, but the color is like the moon so no one could see it. :D

lol Dom your picture is named Cherrypo? I really know this means paint over - but "Po" is just the german word for .. ehm ... botty. :D

Facebook / Behance

06 Mar 2015 08:38 #9392 by Charlotte
I thought it might just be the light from the moon. :) But it reads better if the two are not the same (or if you get the line work in there ;))