April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Cherrys Fantasies

13 Nov 2014 19:03 - 13 Nov 2014 19:11 #7117 by CherryGraphics
I always wanted to start a thread by myself here for my WIPS if someone's interested in. Well I hope it. :silly:

So let's start with my current project:

The Ocean At The End Of The Lane. It's a fan art for my beloved favorite book from Neil Gaimain :lol:
It shows Lettie Hempstock, it's a scene from the very last pages. She rest in her ocean to get new strength after she rescued her little friend from hungerbirds.

I'll add more phantom fish to the ocean :)

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Nov 2014 19:15 #7118 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Cherrys Fantasies
Yay! Looking forward to see both the progress of this one and all it's followers :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

13 Nov 2014 19:53 #7121 by CherryGraphics
Replied by CherryGraphics on topic Cherrys Fantasies
Me too Charlotte, me too. :D

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

14 Nov 2014 00:02 #7126 by Thomgirl
Replied by Thomgirl on topic Cherrys Fantasies
I'm really digging this! Good luck with the underwater look... it's a tough one to pull off convincingly. So far I would keep the hair in mind. It looks very short for the top compared to the bottom and I think it's a perspective issue with the hair that's causing that. Just something you might want to keep an eye on. Other than that it's shaping up great, I'm looking forward to the progress!

14 Nov 2014 06:47 #7130 by CherryGraphics
yeah I've never painted underwater like this - but it's fun so far. ^^
Lettie has "really short hair for a girl" so maybe the hair on the bottom is to long. mh. I'm not sure. Maybe she took a scissor and cut the hair herself off. :silly: :lol: :lol:

Facebook / Behance

14 Nov 2014 22:07 #7150 by Kodabble
Replied by Kodabble on topic Cherrys Fantasies
This is looking really great, The coloring gives it an beautiful underwater feel.
A couple of things.
First her right arm looks too short. Part of this could be due to the way the cloth is wrapped around her. if the upper arm is going away from the viewer (foreshortened) then the curve should be away. Judging by the shadow of the left hand on the arm though it appears that the hand is touching the right arm which makes the right arm look a little short.

Second to add to the underwater effect and with the bright directional light and the effect that it is near the surface; don't forget to add the refractive highlights on the upper surfaces of her body

Looking forward to the finished work.
Attachments:

15 Nov 2014 02:17 #7164 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Cherrys Fantasies
Nice start and looking good. The only thing I might mention, (and not trying to be a perv here) but the little fishy (in his current position that is) appears to be checking out her, um, backside. :) Which also has them both looking in a similar direction. Have you by chance tried having him on the other side, and maybe higher on the image? Just a thought. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

15 Nov 2014 17:17 #7167 by CherryGraphics
thanks for the tipps! :)

kodabble: the tipp with the curve away looks good - I'll fix this next time. :) the refractive highlights on the upper surfaces of her body I have in mind, I'll add them at the end. I always add things like this at the end i don't know why. but thanks for reminding me :)

dave: hahahaha that's nice ;) no, there will be more than one ghost fish in the ocean so maybe you won't see this one checking her out. or maybe YOU'll see it and laugh :lol:

Facebook / Behance

15 Nov 2014 20:24 #7173 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Cherrys Fantasies
I always like it when an artist puts their own spin on a character, so I think giving her slightly different hair, or whatever else you may which to add will be fine to me at least.

I am in the middle of painting another one of Gaiman's characters myself. She is the character from the beginning of his book stardust. It's the girl with purple eyes and cat ears. But, I will paint her the way I want her, so even if that means she is not strictly accurate, I will still enjoy doing it!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

16 Nov 2014 16:50 #7178 by CherryGraphics
Ouh stardust is a great story as well from Neil. I really want to see your picture when it's done, ok? :cheer:

Facebook / Behance