April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Attos chips, dips, chains and Wips

26 Jul 2014 02:49 #4204 by Digital Dave
Looking good, Atto. And yep, definitely need to shift the knee & center-line of his left leg to the left or center more. You may also want to take a look at his chest. His left pec seems odd or maybe slightly too far center or to the left, but not by much. Would just think we would see more of his right pec as well, when viewed in relation to his stomach line when following it upward. ... Lastly, check the flying axe size. When you compare it to the one being held by the climber, it makes it look like the axe is actually way past the giant, as if it missed and is sailing passed him. If it's supposed to be hurtling toward him, it should actually be larger than the one the climber is holding.

Look forward to watching the process on this. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Jul 2014 04:44 #4208 by Thomgirl
Hey Attos! Great concept, love where you're going, but I think too your torsos are a bit too... just big human proportioned. Dwarves should be very broad and condensed throughout. You might want to take some time to just do some standard skeletal work for them first to set up the proportions. Then try out your action shots with your chosen 'frame work' then flesh them out with muscles.

This is probably the most helpful link I could find on google: www.fantasy-artzine.com/2010/07/how-to-draw-dwarf-warrior.html

Also found that Dwarves tend to be in the 5 1/2 heads category as opposed to 7 1/2-8 heads we use for 'humans'. One thing I noticed in the 'frame work' too is that their pectoral size in relation to their trunk size is almost opposite that of a humans proportionally. We have a short pectoral section with longer torso where they have a larger pectoral section with shorter torso. Just some food for thought :) I've never drawn dwarves personally, so all this is just based on observation :)

26 Jul 2014 11:55 #4222 by Charlotte
I just actually read that "how to draw a dwarf" guide you linked to Thomgirl... The images were good and I think he/she'd done a good job on the anatomy, but I'd say the text was a bit lacking. It was basically 1) do a sketch, 2) refine your sketch, 3) Put in the final details and you're done! Not very helpful to anyone who wasn't already able to make a drawing without help, was it?

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

26 Jul 2014 13:57 #4227 by Thomgirl
No, as a starter 'tutorial' it's pretty lame. But Attos' work seems to have a really strong drawing foundation, so I figure he can use it as a sorta proportion guide :)

26 Jul 2014 18:55 #4278 by Atto
Thanks very much for all the great feedback all.
The throwing axe is supposed to be smaller than the two our hero is wielding but I will definitely look at it again if its not reading right.
As to the giants anatomy issues ill have to check my ref when I get home.
Dwarves are tough to draw huh? But the advice you've given is exactly what I need. At this stage of my drawing I always get carried away with the quality of line using as opposed to things I should be concentrating on like anatomy. So thanks for steering me back on the right direction.
Also thanks Thomgirl for the vote of confidence in my drawing ability that's really encouraging to hear.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

26 Jul 2014 19:31 #4285 by Atto
Just checked out that link. I agree while its useful for proportions if anyone thinks they're gonna learn hot to draw with the advice on there they're in for a shock.
Still saved it into my refs folder, so many thanks.

23 Aug 2015 13:04 #12101 by Atto
Hey all,
After a fair few months away I thought I'd come back to see how you were all doing. A little quiet on here these days but I'm really happy to see the quality of work is still very high with some great tips and support is still the cornerstone of the community for those of us who are a little less experienced.
I'm still working away a lot but I'm going to once again try to get some work uploaded on here to (hopefully) get some C&C from all you lovely people.

23 Aug 2015 14:15 - 23 Aug 2015 14:17 #12102 by Atto
My new wip, based on an ides from some miss heard song lyrics "Glorified Virgin on a Pelican". Very early stages as yet. I really struggle controlling values and tone when I work digitally so this is also an experiment in trying to produce a unified tonal effect.

For those of you interested the original lyrics were "glorified version of a pellet gun" from 'Glorified G' by Pearl Jam

I may enter this into the Virgo challenge if it goes well - it seems to kinda fit.

Attachments:

23 Aug 2015 14:26 #12103 by Valence
Illustrating misheard song lyrics is a fantastic idea, absolute genius! :) So much potential for surreal visuals and humour.
And this picture looks very good so far. I'm particularly impressed with the twist of the girl's body, it gives it a dynamic feel and makes the odd combination look perfectly natural.
Looking forward to see how it progresses.

23 Aug 2015 18:21 #12106 by Atto
Thanks Valence! Spent a lot of time at uni with 'writers block' so I had to work real hard at learning to generate ideas.
Its turning out a little less surreal than I hoped for but meh?!
Some basic colours down - really struggling with the old skin tone and these damn feathers!!
Lost a little of the definition on the twist of her body too but will try to get that back as I work into it.

I like the sense of shadow across her head and shoulders but now I'm thinking that maybe I'll add a headress instead of just hair - need to make her 'glorified' in some way.

Attachments: