April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

New section and/or challenge

13 Jul 2014 22:32 - 13 Jul 2014 22:34 #2688 by em...
I would like to propose the idea of a new section of the forum, dedicated to work that is figurative, but not necessarily of the sci-fi, fantasy or horror genre.

Joe recently mentioned (in his post of his Wes Craven/Freddy) caricature that he didn't post much of his work on IFX (and by extension, here) because it didn't really qualify under those genre descriptions, and there are probably a number of other people who have felt the same (including me, sometimes).

What I have in mind would be a section that covered straight portraiture, caricature, figure and anatomy studies, pin-ups, maybe wildlife drawing/paintings. And if that section had a monthly (?) challenge/workshop/jam thingy, based around posted reference photos of a subject (nude model, clothed model etc), it could help members in general with their anatomy/figure practice, which would be useful in their other works.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jul 2014 22:34 #2690 by Digital Dave
Very cool idea. Sounds educational and fun.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

13 Jul 2014 22:39 #2692 by Charlotte
Well some sort of practice/workshops have already been suggested and we're going to try to set that up. I think it'd be great if you guys posted non fantasy stuff as well. Although I have to admit I don't know why it needs new sections? The site itself proclaims to deal with fantasy and sci fi but I don't think the wip or challenge sections do, so basically I thik you could still post your stuff there? On the other hand, if you want more categories in the gallery section (the gallery gallery, not the forum gallery or would that be gallery forum?) just say so and we'll add it :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

13 Jul 2014 22:40 #2693 by ClaudeCrow
Sounds like it might be good. It would probably be beneficial to those who do do mainly sci-fi/fantasy stuff to have a go at some real world stuff for a change as well. I know I don't really do any finalized work of things that are actual, well, real..

13 Jul 2014 22:46 - 13 Jul 2014 22:47 #2694 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic New section and/or challenge
like your sketchaholics em...yeah i think t would be a good idea, i think it would be a good idea to have specific areas like that, as you say, i'm sure people have been put off on IFX as there wasn't a 'correct',place for their work.

if it put people like you and Joe posting i would hate that.
let us know your suggestions and we'll set it up

14 Jul 2014 06:58 #2716 by Stuart
Replied by Stuart on topic New section and/or challenge
When you say figurative, do you mean realistic?

14 Jul 2014 13:39 - 14 Jul 2014 13:40 #2761 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic New section and/or challenge

What I have in mind would be a section that covered straight portraiture, caricature, figure and anatomy studies, pin-ups, maybe wildlife drawing/paintings. And if that section had a monthly (?) challenge/workshop/jam thingy, based around posted reference photos of a subject (nude model, clothed model etc), it could help members in general with their anatomy/figure practice, which would be useful in their other works.

I like the monthly workshop thing (which ties in somewhat to another suggestion that was made I think), however I don't know that more sections of the forum are actually required. Non genre work is welcome to be posted in the existing Finished/WIP/Sketchbook forums, and the advice section is also fairly open. I deliberately avoided adding subcategories to those sections to separate out things such as 2D and 3D for example, in order to enable people to just post artwork without worrying about where it should go or what it should be.

But I'm open to persuasion and to buckling under the weight of peer pressure (which is why it says Sci-Fi and Fantasy Digital Art in the header now :whistle: )

14 Jul 2014 13:47 #2765 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic New section and/or challenge
soooooooo banj pile everyone?

14 Jul 2014 13:49 #2767 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic New section and/or challenge
When I said buckling under the weight, I didn't mean in the literal sense. :dry:

14 Jul 2014 13:55 - 14 Jul 2014 13:57 #2768 by Digital Dave
But would probably still work just the same. :)

PS - Nice story on the site history, Kaz. Like how you incorporated a fairy tale feel to it. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D