July challenge - Mech Fauna

Deadline for entry:

June challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Adventures across the 3rd dimension

30 Jun 2024 22:52 #50858 by Valence
I'm glad I wasn't online when this conversation happened cos I'm not very good with the command line stuff. :lol:
:dunno:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jul 2024 21:35 - 03 Jul 2024 21:36 #50884 by Charlotte
I've kind of been putting off trying that convex collision stuff for a couple of days, but finally made myself look at it again. Tried a couple more times, trying to follow the guides (which ever so un-helpfully always only have a single mesh in their examples rather than several, while in one case saying they should all be collided into one and in another guide saying they definitely shouldn't be collided into one but not specifically stating whether that's true for both the regular meshes and the collision meshes, or not...)

So, I tried a few different variants of colliding and not colliding meshes and the only thing I can say for certain is I don't get why I should prep the file by renaming the collision meshes a bunch of rb-mopp things when the output clearly refuses to make collision meshes out of it, anyway. :pout:

The guides also state that if you join all the meshes together they will be separated by ck-cmd into several meshes based on materials used, which it does, but it also seem to remove the materials in question. :dumb:

And since I procrastinated all day before getting anything done on this, I am now too tired to keep trying. :stare:

Edit: I think with colliding meshes I meant collapsing or combining or something :sleepy: 

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

04 Jul 2024 19:25 #50898 by Charlotte
I finally caved and asked for help on making collisions with ck-cmd in the skyrim discord and ... they recommended chunkmerge. I had two options and I got the other one.

04 Jul 2024 19:54 #50900 by Valence
After reading your post yesterday I tried to watch a YouTube video about collision meshes to see if I could help but I didn't understand any of it. :dumb:
But I remember they definitely used something called ChunkMerge. Whatever it is. :dunno:

04 Jul 2024 20:01 #50901 by Charlotte
The issue with chunkmerge is it can only handle LE meshes so you have to make your mesh, use yet ANOTHER app to LE-ify your meshes, use chunkmerge to add collision, use the other app again I think to SSE-ify the mesh again and then probably still check it for issues in Nifskope.

I think I need to read up on it all before I even try to use these things.

05 Jul 2024 21:14 - 05 Jul 2024 21:17 #50912 by Charlotte
So today my extremely not-major advance is I managed to actually get chunkmerge (or nifutils) to add my collision meshes into a collision shape thingy, but it also seems to mess everything else up including names and materials so I dunno what's what and it seems it messes up the original material on the regular meshes too (which makes the whole building invisible in game. Yay. Maybe I should make one invisible item with collision and one visible without collision and just place them in the same spot? :hmm:

:sleepy:

Edit: I also counted the tools I use for modding and/or creating mods for Skyrim (including ArtRage and Blender, Creration Kit and SSEedit) and I'm up to 14 different apps/programs. Though in the end maybe I'll be able to uninstall one or two again? :dry: 

06 Jul 2024 20:41 #50928 by Charlotte
I feel like I haven't done anything today. Though I have done something... like laundry... and crocheting. :dumb: But no progress on my invisible tavern. I haven't even tried. Last night my brain stayed awake thinking of skyrim jewellery (again, it's not the first time) so pretty much all day today I have been reading up on the Tamriel races and what their real world influences are and then looked up antique jewellery from those cultures.... I've looked at the meshes that already exist in game. And made notes and scribbles. Lots of notes. Which might never even come to anything :dry: So... I feel like I did nothing. :shrug:

07 Jul 2024 15:42 #50932 by Charlotte
I made it work! :woohoo:
But I made the collision cover up the door so I can't get into the building. :dumb:

Which means I need to redo the collision meshes, reexport the nifs, reconvert them to LE, readd the collision with chunkmerge, reconvert them back to SSE, redo a few small changes in Nifskope and then try again. :dry:

Practice makes perfect, I guess :shrug:

(Also I have no idea why, but it seems that at some point in the process I can't save over old files but need to change them with new names or no changes actually happen in the files, even though the last changed time info changes. So basically I have to keep saving everything I do as new versions rather than be lazy and save over like I usually do... :hmm: )

09 Jul 2024 22:20 #50964 by Charlotte
Speaking of patience (in another thread) I couldn't make myself do diddly-squat on my Karthwasten mod today so I started fiddling with some possibly Daedric stuff in Blender... :dry:

It would be kind of nice, though, if I could finish one thing before starting 5 new projects... :dumb:

10 Jul 2024 20:03 #50977 by Charlotte

Attachments: