April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Adventures across the 3rd dimension

14 Jul 2022 14:34 #41379 by Charlotte
I've no idea... But I think they are the same...

and I don't even use shaders and renders and such so I don't have to worry about those things anyway :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Jul 2022 14:49 #41383 by Valence
No nodes? :ohmy:

And no speckled, grainy Cycles image sloooowly appearing in the viewport? :lol:

So are your renders just from the game engine?

14 Jul 2022 16:23 - 14 Jul 2022 16:24 #41384 by Charlotte
yep, in Blender it's all grey (or blue and orange when I need to see which way faces face) and the only thing I adjust is basically the smoothness of the surface... Then I add colours, textures, shininess etc in Unity.

I decided to take a look at how my items now look in game, and of course I misspelled the item I was most curious about so it didn't even appear. And all the others, including the ones of stone that I previously considered finished, look too small and dainty, at least in some of the details... So I am now reworking the lot. Well, not quite. Not the stone loo, the water bucket or the potty. Yes, maybe the potty. It's got an unpleasant sharp edge where the babies should sit.... :dry:

14 Jul 2022 19:20 - 14 Jul 2022 19:35 #41392 by Charlotte
If you've made like a bent pipe from a cylinder and then need to change the dimensions as in diameter but not length of the pipe... Is there somewhere you can access the original diameter/radius of the dang thing? If it had all been straight it would have been easy but... now it isn't :(

Edit: Alt + S seems to be the thing. Not that I know what that "function" is called so I can find it myself once I've forgotten the shortcut keys... and I still need to do some editing of some bits... 

Edit2: scratch that.... 

14 Jul 2022 19:26 #41393 by Valence
If you've done it using a modifier then it would be possible as they're non-destructive until you apply them but if you've just modelled it normally then I doubt that there'd be a quick and easy way. :unsure:

14 Jul 2022 19:37 #41394 by Charlotte
How do you even use a modifier without applying it? :dumb:

No, I use the extrude region button over and over and and change the size and orientation of each face before extruding again... to make bendy shapes... so, no quick fix for the too dainty pipes :stare:

14 Jul 2022 19:54 - 14 Jul 2022 19:56 #41396 by Valence
1: Add a plane.
2: Edit Mode.
3: Select all vertices and Mesh>Merge At Centre.
4: Repeatedly extrude the single vertex to draw out a bendy path for the pipe.
5: Add a Skin modifier to turn the lines into three dimensional mesh.
6: Add a Subdivision modifier to make the "pipe" rounded.

And now...

7: Select all vertices and press CTRL-A and this scales the radius of the entire pipe! :woohoo:

I think. :dry:

EDIT: And then "Apply" the modifiers to make it into a normal static mesh. :stare:

14 Jul 2022 20:44 #41397 by Charlotte
I might try that next time. Maybe. :unsure:

15 Jul 2022 14:00 #41406 by Banj

If you've made like a bent pipe from a cylinder and then need to change the dimensions as in diameter but not length of the pipe... Is there somewhere you can access the original diameter/radius of the dang thing? If it had all been straight it would have been easy but... now it isn't :(

Edit: Alt + S seems to be the thing. Not that I know what that "function" is called so I can find it myself once I've forgotten the shortcut keys... and I still need to do some editing of some bits... 

Edit2: scratch that.... 

Scaling along normals?

15 Jul 2022 15:27 #41408 by Charlotte
I think that was was alt S was supposed to do? But it didn't. Or I dunno. I have no idea what I'm doing... :unsure: