April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Adventures across the 3rd dimension

26 Sep 2021 12:30 #36829 by Charlotte
Well, that's teach me to make an item first and "research" it later. Or maybe not.
Today I made a "beeswax candle" - trying to make it look like it was "rolled" from a sheet of wax. But of course medieval candles were made from strings dipped in melted wax. Darn all those "medieval market" designs. Darn them to socks!

And no, I don't learn. Because this reminds me of the time I made a medieval breakfast table setting with loads of food and then learnt that healthy people didn't eat breakfast in the middle ages. Only the weak and infirm were considered in need of morning sustenance. :dry:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Sep 2021 14:46 #36834 by Valence
Breakfast is for people who don't sleep in. :zzz:

Even though my lumpy man isn't at this stage yet I thought I'd spend some time researching skin shaders by watching various long and short videos.
And.... that node stuff is sooo complicated. :cry:

26 Sep 2021 15:13 #36836 by Charlotte
*shudders*

I'm trying to make some nice candles. I CAN make things glow (i.e. add lights). And the game has some fire "prefabs", but my candelabra has five candles and I can only use one prefab at a time... :hmm: also, they seem a bit too "violent" for little candle flames. I could just model the flames, but then they'd always be there unless I can make them invisible during the day. I don't think I can. And I don't think I can make it look like each flame glows, either. Only one at a time, of those too. I think. :S

26 Sep 2021 20:10 #36840 by Charlotte
Thanks Banj - the issue is whether I can make them emissive only at night, in game, though ;)

26 Sep 2021 20:11 #36841 by Charlotte
That said, if I can't, I'll probably make little flames that are visible all the time...

26 Sep 2021 20:30 #36846 by Banj
Flames don't just switch off when the sun comes up   

26 Sep 2021 20:36 #36847 by Charlotte
They do in this game :stare:
(and I didn't make it so....)

27 Sep 2021 00:01 #36856 by Valence
Lumpy man gets moulded out of lumpy wax which then gets to look slightly less waxy by duplicating the screenshot and setting the top layer to soft light. Which is obviously cheating. :facepalm:

I didn't do a proper texture paint either, I just slapped on a few vertex colours which was easier than doing that fiddly UV unwrap. Also in order to do this I had to decimate the model to a fraction of the polygons to stop Blender freezing/lagging while "painting" so none of this has been saved into my scultpy file that still needs yet more sculpting.
Attachments:

27 Sep 2021 11:48 #36857 by Valence
I did also try to add some skin pores to get rid of the smooth (yet still lumpy) waxy look. Seeing as I'm still not texture painting yet (far too many polygons to cope with that UV stuff :nope:) I tried to plug in a procedural noise texture into the node thing but it didn't work as planned. I was following exactly what other people did in the videos (well, maybe "exactly" :dry:) but whereas they instantly got an nice series of small bumps I got a series of large weird streaks. :blink:
I think I need to watch more videos....
...and pay attention. :stare: