March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Adventures across the 3rd dimension

14 Feb 2021 18:40 #33667 by Charlotte
Well I figured it was vertix but it wasn't... Vertex just didn't occur to me :p
Am I stoned now? :giggle:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Feb 2021 18:44 #33668 by Banj

Am I stoned now? :giggle:

Possibly, it would explain a lot :XD:

14 Feb 2021 18:45 #33669 by Charlotte

15 Feb 2021 12:27 #33680 by Charlotte
So uhm... I read through a tutorial specific to Banished, on creating a model and including in the game, so maybe nobody can answer this (but most Banished modders seem to have disappeared about a year ago...)

The tutorial shows how to build a house, save as fbx and then "dismantle" the model to save fbx models of the house in process of being built. Then they make a new fbx where they have imported all the different models and lined them up in a row and shrunk them all by 100. (So from being built in meters like real world size, they're shrunk down to cm). I don't get why? Why not use cm as the build measure to begin with if it needs to be that small? Why not build all the models in one file to begin with if that's how they're placed anyway later?

And how the heck does the game know which part of a combined file to use? (Of wait the imported models were given distinct names - but you should be able to do that to them as you build them, right?)

It seems like the person making the tutorial goes through a lot of unnecessary steps? Or am I missing something since I've never actually done anything yet? :dumb:

15 Feb 2021 12:55 #33684 by Valence
I never understand how games use their assets as they all seem to have different proprietary systems. My installed Skyrim Creation Kit remains completely unused and my only attempt at Witcher modding resulted in a purple faced Geralt. :unsure:

The only advice I can offer is to back up everything before you start changing stuff.

15 Feb 2021 13:03 #33685 by Charlotte
:P Well Banished mods are more about adding stuff than changing what's already there. There are some mods that change stuff too but.... I just want to see if I can make a model and make it work in game :P

15 Feb 2021 13:19 #33687 by Banj
Scale is handled differently in different applications. Some apps don't handle working at very small scale very well (ZBrush for example). It might also be more efficient to work at real world scale while modelling then resizing everything in one go in the destination app, than having to think about and calculate converted measurements as you are creating.

15 Feb 2021 14:31 #33688 by Charlotte
well I figured you could set the scale to cm instead of m, and basically use the same numbers, but apparently not. The grid didn't change anyway...

In all* the videos I've seen people change and extrude etc really fast and never seem to have to correct coordinates, whereas I keep having to change the numbers every time. If I want to move a face 2 meters, I don't want to move it 1.98763621436 meters. It's annoying. :dry:

*admittedly not that many

15 Feb 2021 15:29 #33689 by Valence
Can you snap to grid or use increments?
I vaguely recall pressing (or holding?) Ctrl to move things by increments. But once again, my memory may indeed be wrong. :dry:

15 Feb 2021 16:32 #33691 by Charlotte
Maybe. There's such an awful lot of shortcut keys and "modes", I can't keep track of them all...