April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Under painting still shows ghosted sketch lines?

14 Oct 2016 14:51 #14715 by Digital Dave
As mentioned in the title, I happened to notice this last night. I did a quick rough-sketch and then created a couple layers that I placed under the sketch, which I've done many times before. ... But after throwing down some colors, I then clicked the sketch layer off only to find ghosted outlines still present, void of any color that was laid down beneath it? :dunno:

I would think having the sketch on top of the others, there shouldn't have been any conflict with laying down color. But it actually came out as if the sketch were on bottom and had protected the layer/s below, leaving the space below the lines white, like they were protected similar to using a mask? ... There may be a simple setting for this that I'm just not aware of, especially since I'm now using CC, but since I can't recall this ever happening before I've never had to look into it.

Thought to ask here first in case anyone else has had this issue before.

Thanks,

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Oct 2016 18:05 #14716 by Charlotte
Some art programs are set to have things affect all layers by default - and since you just got a new computer, even if you reinstalled an old program (but you have a new program too, right?) this might be it. There's probably a tool setting somewhere for "only this layer".

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

14 Oct 2016 19:51 #14718 by Valence
That's weird. Only thing I can think of is that maybe when creating the sketch layer you clicked Layer Mask instead of New Layer. But then that would look different in the layer palette, wouldn't it?
Have you been using any Selections? I know that if you Ctrl-click on the layer thumbnail then that selects and locks the transparency. But then that'd be the opposite of the masking effect.
Hmm, it's a mystery.

14 Oct 2016 21:40 #14719 by Digital Dave

Some art programs are set to have things affect all layers by default - and since you just got a new computer, even if you reinstalled an old program (but you have a new program too, right?) this might be it. There's probably a tool setting somewhere for "only this layer".

Yep, and yep Charlotte. And I agree, I think the new program would be at fault if anything. I just don't know where this setting might be, but was thinking along those same lines that it's probably as you say, a setting that says affect all layers, or something similar. ... I'm using Photoshop CC, so it is a little new to me. I will have to look around I guess. Just thought maybe someone here might have experienced this before and could provide some insight to slim the search some. ... :) Thanks

Valence, yeah that might make sense, but no, I was simply using a regular layer with no additional setting. I do know about the Ctrl-Click for selecting the thumbnail, etc. but nope, just moved it to the top never knowing this was happening? ... As mentioned above, I was also thinking it was probably a default setting, or simply a fluke? Either way it is a bit of a pain to have to clear all the ghosted lines out. I will search around and will definitely keep an eye on this the next time and if anything just paint over it, and occasionally just turn it off and on as needed. :)

Thank you both. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D