March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Annoying tooltips

16 Apr 2015 21:00 - 16 Apr 2015 21:03 #10174 by Joe
Annoying tooltips was created by Joe
I also posted this on the Facebook page just for a change _

New PC with Windows 8.1 up and running and everything is peachy - except - I keep getting little labels (Alt, Shift, etc.) next to my cursor when I press a modifier key. I've been searching everywhere and still can't find a solution. A lot of people say turning off PCTablet Services does the trick but not for me. Any ideas? There's a mini Toblerone in it for you if you have.

(I know they're not really tooltips.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Apr 2015 22:26 #10175 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Annoying tooltips
I believe windows 8 still has the annoying Flicks thing, try disabling that.

16 Apr 2015 23:04 #10176 by Joe
Replied by Joe on topic Annoying tooltips
Nothing doing there either I'm afraid.

17 Apr 2015 07:24 #10177 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Annoying tooltips
Joe, it's nothing to do with 'accessibility' settings is it?

17 Apr 2015 08:11 - 17 Apr 2015 08:16 #10178 by Joe
Not that I can see Kaz. I spent a long time looking through it all but Windows 8 has a way of hiding things in obscure places so I may have missed it. I think it might have something to do with Wacom as it doesn't appear when I use a regular mouse. Again I've looked everywhere - Use Windows Ink, etc. but the damn things won't go away. It's not the end of the world I guess, just annoying.

Edit: Hold that thought. It is Windows Ink. I failed to realise that you can turn Ink off or on for individual programs. I can get rid of the labels now if I turn it off but I loose Pressure sensitivity! That's no good.

17 Apr 2015 08:27 #10179 by kazky
I was going to mention that, I have the issue with my cintiq that if I press the nib of the pen I get the 'expanding circle' which is really irritating, I turned that off in windows ink and realised it was my right click option! So I have to have it do that stupid action.

So now you've turned that action off there can you go into 'pen' options and bring back the sensitivity? or even the Wacom desktop?

17 Apr 2015 09:20 #10180 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Annoying tooltips

Nothing doing there either I'm afraid.

Yeah, I said Flicks, but I was thinking of the Pen and Touch setting that contain Flicks options which is the settings panel where you can disable the ripple circle of infinite lag that Kaz is suffering from.

I went through all this crap when I moved to Windows 7 about a year or so ago, and it is just dumbfounding that it's all still there screwing people over in Windows 8. I remember had to disable several things like the Tablet PC service (and one option somewhere that has to be enabled in order to disable it :dry: ) and edit my registry. Things like this are why I make a disc image as soon as I've fixed it all so I never have to deal with it ever again (unless I upgrade Windows apparently).

17 Apr 2015 09:24 #10181 by Joe
Well, I've got Photoshop sorted by adding a small text file.
forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?p=75787#p75787

Now for Sketchbook Pro.

17 Apr 2015 10:40 - 17 Apr 2015 10:42 #10182 by kazky
windows 8 sucks, apparently they are not going to have a Windows 9 and go straight to 10, something similar to the Y2K thing I believe, where windows will assume it's win 95.

Its not very clever is it? lets hope they sort it out in the next incarnation.

Thanks for the link Joe, that's useful