March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

General Scribbles

19 Jan 2020 20:22 - 19 Jan 2020 20:24 #27511 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic General Scribbles
Is that traditional media or does it just look like it. I really need a programme that will mimic traditional media because I suck at it in real life.
A few more from me, the first is the Sktchy legend and IG hero Rick the Muse.
The second I hope you all recognise. I’ve included the original and a cropped version as my phone doesn’t seem to post at a very good resolution.

Yeah they posted back to front before anyone comments!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Jan 2020 21:20 #27512 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic General Scribbles
Not only do I recognise the famous face and its beautiful use of similar hues, I also recognise Rick too! :woohoo:
I knew we'd eventually get a Reddit/Sktchy crossover episode. :P
I think I've done him three times now and seeing those familiar features in this picture brings back good memories. You've captured those rugged cheekbones and stare perfectly. :thumbup:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

19 Jan 2020 22:08 #27514 by Atto
Ha ha he’s an absolute joy to paint isn’t he? That other one was a guy called Louis Schmoo (only just realised I never answered).

19 Jan 2020 22:21 #27515 by Valence
Shmoonify!
Double crossover! :lol:
I knew it was him without you saying. You're obviously good at getting these likenesses. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

19 Jan 2020 23:41 - 19 Jan 2020 23:43 #27516 by Valence
...oops, I forgot to answer your question, Atto. I was too busy looking at the fantastic pictures! :P
My Saturday afternoon sketches are usually about 10% traditional and then 90% digital over the top. I start by just doing a very basic pencil outline in my sketchbook then I take a photo before the light fades and add the detailed highlights and deeper shadows on my tablet thingy.
I do it that way around because my fat finger isn't that great at getting the initial proportions right. :)
I use the Android app ArtFlow with a grainy "pencil" brush I made myself. I think Sketchbook has some pretty convincing pencil brushes too. I remember using those in a similar way before switching to this app.

20 Jan 2020 20:58 #27540 by Valence
A bad anatomy fish related thing...

Attachments:

20 Jan 2020 21:21 #27541 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic General Scribbles
I really like it! Love the texture on the sea floor and the little sharkie (I think it's a shark anyway... and if it isn't it isn't your ability to paint fish that has failed, but my knowledge of fish...)

I should get back to Subnautica... some day...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

20 Jan 2020 21:34 #27542 by Valence
The reason I picked out this reference was because it made me think of your screenshots of Subnautica. :)

It's apparently a remora. :dunno:
Not that you'd know from my version although it was the human anatomy that caused most of the problems. It was very hard to tell which bits were "body" and which bits were diving equipment and as a result my vague measurements were even more vague than usual plus I had to rely on a last minute fix to spare further embarrassment.

There is a video in the usual place for anyone who wishes to observe that awkward-armed embarrassment. :lol:

And as usual, my textured sea-floor is courtesy of ArtRage's Sticker Set tool and the Mossy2 preset.

20 Jan 2020 22:30 #27544 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic General Scribbles
well you use those sticker-textures to good effect :)

and apparently remoras are also called Shark-suckers. Not quite a shark, then :P I'll remember that thing on its head and the severe underbite (?) for next time.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

20 Jan 2020 23:26 #27547 by Atto
I can only second Charlottes opinion on that picture Val. It looks great to me too! It may be a sticker set but it really works and you have those colours down perfectly.
Here’s my rough hash for today and my current WIP to accompany Mr McAvoy (in a random order).

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence