April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

General Scribbles

04 May 2019 17:19 #24641 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic General Scribbles
Had to take a look at that redditthread... Seems people (especially women) put on makeup and jewellery and arrange some nifty background just to take selfies. :blink: me no get.

Also that kid in the air in front of a "jumping castle" (er... those air filled structured kids jump around in) - is it just me or does it look totally fake? Is it supposed to be fake? :?

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 May 2019 17:40 #24642 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic General Scribbles
I think it's just the harsh sunlight that makes it look flat.

The most annoying ones are the selfies that cut off the forehead. It's become a bit of a recurring joke over there and it never stops being astonishing how many people do it.
Also the "seatbelt selfie" phenomenon remains a mystery to me. "Here's a photo of me in a traffic jam!" :dunno:

05 May 2019 00:59 #24647 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic General Scribbles
Some nice works... I really want to do something myself presently, but just extremely busy, and just getting over being sick for two weeks, not to mention the pollen hasn't been helping. :) Did doodle some ideas a few weeks ago (Before getting sick) but haven't got back to them since being laid up feeling like crap. ... But should at least post them....

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

08 May 2019 20:02 #24670 by Valence
I think this is one of those Pokemon things?
Maybe?
:?

Attachments:

12 May 2019 01:26 #24701 by Valence
Couple of Saturday things.

Yes, that was the REAL sketchbook this time. :lol: But there was still a lot of digital finger painting over the top.

And I didn't do justice to the terrific photo in the second one. :( That type of style really needs a lot more time to layer and glaze the skin. And it took way too long as it is. I blame the awful hands. :P
Attachments:

12 May 2019 10:47 #24702 by Charlotte
I still think it's an excellent scribble. But it would be awesome as an ld masterish oil painting with a bit more detail in the costume :) Maybe the ref photo already looks liek an old master, though :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

12 May 2019 12:03 #24703 by Valence
Yeah, I certainly wish I'd done more work on that elaborate collar. As it is, it's a bit harsh and lacking in subtlety. I seemed to spend far too long on the face with this. I always have trouble when there's a big value range to the skin, it all goes muddy very quickly and it takes me ages to layer and rework it to bring back some warmth and make it sit well against the light of the background.
And I haven't quite managed that either. :P
But it was a fun reference to play with so I'm not too bothered by my nit-picking. :)

15 May 2019 18:53 #24750 by Valence
I didn't quite get this cat's eyes right despite numerous attempts.

And it could probably do with some more shading on the fur but... :shrug:
Attachments:

15 May 2019 20:38 #24752 by Charlotte
I dunno what the original cat looks like but some cats seem to look like that, so I'd say the eyes look OK. I like the guy too - he looks like a red headed willy wonka or maybe an unknown Weasley relative. :D

The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

15 May 2019 21:21 #24753 by Valence
Thanks. :)

The cat certainly had the big "starey" gaze, I just had trouble getting the angles right in relation to the nose. There was a lot of nudging going on. :oops:
That's the tricky thing with animals, when painting human faces it's easier to generalise the structure of the face but with cats and dogs (and all their different breeds!) they all have completely different planes to their faces and you have to try to study each individual one that you do instead of relying on knowledge of a "generic" head. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

But it was fun doing the elaborate flicks of the guy's hair! :lol: