April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Caricatootles

30 Oct 2018 09:13 #22605 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic CGAN Caricatootles
Since I never read the comics I have no idea what changes they made, but it certainly wasn't like the other superhero movies I have seen. I think I prefer the marvel ones (I think they're funny) but I like that watchmen was different. Even if I didn't like the ending.
Also
Warning: Spoiler!

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Oct 2018 09:14 #22606 by Charlotte
:argh: Banj, can the spoilers be made readable once you choose to expand them? Light grey text on yellow rather hurts my eyes... :dry:

30 Oct 2018 11:34 #22607 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic CGAN Caricatootles

I really like Watchmen. I know a lot of comic book fanboys like to have a tantrum about all the changes but they work fine for me and I think it's the best superhero movie by a long way.
But what do I know? :shrug:

A perfect example of what's wrong with it and how little the makers of the film understood the comic is shown in a behind the scenes look at how they created Rorschach's mask for the film.

They talk a lot about how they are all massive fans of the comic and how they really wanted to do justice to the source material, then they explain the insane amount of effort they went to to create all those grey shades and textures in the mask... completely missing the whole point of the mask and want it represents. :facepalm:

30 Oct 2018 11:50 #22608 by Charlotte
well it did mostly look black and white.... I'd have liked to know what it was made of and how he came to use it, though, since it wasn't touche don and most of them didn't really have "superpowers". And then some did. And I found myself wondering why Jon kept walking around nude... I mean, he COULD wear clothes (without them burning up or some such) and I assume he could take any on appearance he wanted, really, so I can only assume he thought he looked great and wanted to show it off :P

30 Oct 2018 13:14 #22609 by Banj

30 Oct 2018 13:25 #22610 by Charlotte
well... I'm not sure I'd like a dress like that either. *tries to picture Kovacs from the movie as a dressmaker's assistant* :unsure:

30 Oct 2018 16:25 - 30 Oct 2018 16:51 #22612 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic CGAN Caricatootles
Yep, that's exactly the kind of detail that didn't bother me at all. :P :lol:

It all makes me think of the Hulk. As a kid I loved watching the cartoons and comics where the hand drawn character did outrageous things. I also loved the TV show where a real guy in the real world did not-so-outrageous things. :) But now, seeing a photorealistic Hulk in a real world setting doing all those comic book things, like jumping and bouncing and throwing helicopters around, it just looks silly and makes me realise how ridiculous the character is.

Watchmen managed to take the comic book ideals and present them in a way that seemed more believable. I believed in the world and the characters in a way that I don't with Marvel movies. And if that's a result of Rorschach having a realistic textured face rather than a solid black and white pattern (which is probably just a rationalisation of the original art style) then so be it. :shrug:

30 Oct 2018 17:06 #22613 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic CGAN Caricatootles
The film would have worked better and been more believable to me if they had a completely out of place wacky races style chase sequence and Manhattan was crushed under a giant Acme weight at the end.

30 Oct 2018 17:15 #22614 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic CGAN Caricatootles
No weight could crush that big blue todger. :lol:

30 Oct 2018 17:39 #22615 by Charlotte
:dry: