April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Caricatootles

08 Apr 2018 14:36 #20757 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic CGAN Caricatootles
The annoying thing about Lennon is that there are one or two really iconic photos that are linked to how I imagine his likeness.
Just doing versions of those pictures feels a little boring and unimaginative (a bit like Ledger and the Joker) but when I try a different ref the likeness fails because it doesn't look like THAT photo.

Maybe I should be the one wearing the dark glasses. :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Apr 2018 19:43 #20782 by Valence
Imagine I can draw better, it's easy if you try.

Hmm, I wonder what Kurt Cobain would have looked like if he'd grown old and had to wear glasses. :)

I did try to add some colour to make it look more like him... but it looked even less like him, so black and white pencil it is. :shrug:
Attachments:

28 Apr 2018 18:28 #20962 by Valence
Some quick pencil outlines for the next one on the list.

I've no idea who this woman is (or was, Google wants to add "death" to my search :( ) and being so unfamiliar I'm not even sure if it looks like her. Whilst scribbling and erasing I kept seeing Rihanna and Sofia Vergara. Three for the price of one.

Attachments:

28 Apr 2018 19:14 #20963 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic CGAN Caricatootles
I'm guessing it's the singer Aaliyah (which I can't spell). I think she died some years ago. But I never knew her surname, so I can't be certain.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

28 Apr 2018 19:27 #20964 by Valence
Quite a lot of the people I've never heard of turn out to be singers. Clearly I don't have my finger on the pulse of popular music culture. :)

28 Apr 2018 20:10 #20965 by Charlotte
Neither do I. Probably an age thing. Again.

10 Jul 2018 18:18 #21623 by Valence
As well as my Heath Ledger failure, I've also been struggling with Christopher Lee despite the fact that he has a much better face for this kind of thing and shouldn't really be a problem. Perhaps I just struggle with everyone these days. :(
I've been trying to do him for the past 3 weeks but every time it goes wrong and I end up just doing Reddit faces instead.
But....

...today's attempt wasn't too bad. So here's Count Dooku about to lose his head.

Attachments:

10 Jul 2018 18:32 #21624 by Charlotte
It's recogniseably Lee - the two things I react to is that his further eye seems larger than the closer one (though off the top of my head I can't recall if maybe he has differently sized eyes) and the grain of the canvas. For this one I think it's a bit much. I'm not sure how to work in artrage so that the canva is only visible in some places, like the paint has different thickness (because I pretty much always work with a relatively discreet grain or a transparent bg) but if it could be done, I think it would improve the overall look of this piece.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

10 Jul 2018 19:10 - 10 Jul 2018 19:11 #21625 by Valence
Yeah, using the thick oil brush usually covers a bit of the grain. However I did nearly all of this one with the airbrush and a "blotchy" sticker, which is probably why it's more visible than usual.
I don't mind it over the face, it adds to the texture of the old skin, but you're right, it's far too noticable on the lightsabers, texture doesn't really work with bright lighting effects.
I did them right at the end so didn't have time to spot it. :)

You can switch the grain off all together by pressing F5, so I may do that next time I look at it.

Yikes, France have scored! Better stop typing.

10 Jul 2018 19:11 #21626 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic CGAN Caricatootles
If you are working on multiple layers you can use a more subtle canvas texture as you go up the layer stack. Or you could do what I seem to recall em... was playig with at one time in Photoshop which is to do the canvas texture via a filter on a flattened copy on the image on a top layer, then erase out the parts where the paint would be thicker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence