March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN Caricatootles

10 Jan 2017 21:36 #15077 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic CGAN Caricatootles
Still looking good, Charlotte. are you gonna colour this one up or do you plan on painting one in a different style?

A lot of my attempts fall into the Big Head/Small Body category, so I know exactly what you're talking about. Sometimes the distortion can "break" the face and you have to make a decision between exaggeration and likeness. It's a tough one to get right and given the choice I always tend to fall back on trying to get the likeness first. But you're right, the most memorable caricatures are the ones that really push the face to its limits.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jan 2017 09:26 #15081 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic CGAN Caricatootles
I think you can definately combine the two and the caricatures I have seen of yours have had "distorted faces". I just don't like it much when the face is hardly changed at all - it could be a nice portrait - and then they add a tiny body...

And I did start painting the latter of the two drawings. I shrunk the eyes a bit but otherwise it'll be that pose and those proportions, but of course a different "style" since it'll be a painting and not a drawing. duh :silly:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

14 Jan 2017 19:13 #15111 by em...
Replied by em... on topic CGAN Caricatootles
I understand the purpose of big head/small body caricatures for things like weddings and retirement/birthday gifts - people aren't usually keen on anything that might offend for those occasions where the ultimate customer is the person in the illustration.in fact, from some of the stories I've heard as a member of the ISCA, there can often be requests to tone down the very features that should be exaggerated. What a lot of people really want is a pleasantly idealized cartoon.

If the artist is just having to please themself, though, without any client, then just doing a big head with no exaggeration is a bit lazy. But very common.

Valence - yours aren't that. Yours have exaggerated features. They may not be extremely exaggerated (and neither are most of mine), but they are proper caricatures as I would define them.

16 Jan 2017 01:14 #15113 by Valence
Had a tentative go at one of those simple line drawings today without much success.

Tom Baker as another Who...

Not sure if my difficulty was down to the terrible troubles I have with "Line" or the fact that he has a surprisingly tricky mouth to do. :unsure:
Attachments:

16 Jan 2017 06:02 #15115 by Charlotte
I do tend to use a good bit of smoothing when using the ink pen (for lines).

Tom Baker is the Dr I grew up with :) I'm sure he is tricky to do - I think he'd have more lines around his mouth (in particular those downward lines at uhm either end - for lack of proper terminology). I'm also thinkiing it might work better to make his hair dark rather than some adjoining areas? Just some thoughts - I have never actually tried to draw him myself :P

The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

16 Jan 2017 12:32 - 18 Jan 2017 12:55 #15117 by Valence
One of the many reasons I don't like linework/inking is that dilemma of which parts to do as blacks and which to leave white. And I think you're spot on with the hair observation.

I did try some basic colouring before posting it and that did improve the likeness by having the hair darker than the skin although I ditched it because it made the pic look a bit flatter. Should have made the hair black and left the hat white.

And yes, Tom Baker is "my" Dr Who too despite the fact that I've never been a big fan of the show. :)

Edit: and I prefer the dark haired version. Thanks for the suggestion, Charlotte.

Attachments:

16 Jan 2017 15:16 #15118 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic CGAN Caricatootles
A quick scribble.
Attachments:

16 Jan 2017 17:00 #15125 by Charlotte
Up close and personal-ing.
She looks a little chubby - hamster cheeks? :silly: (She did have those apple cheeks though...)

17 Jan 2017 10:30 #15126 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic CGAN Caricatootles
It may be close to bordering on Molly Ringwald.

17 Jan 2017 11:08 #15127 by em...
Replied by em... on topic CGAN Caricatootles
She did have quite a chubby face in the first movie - for me, that's a large part of what the CG recreation in Rogue One was missing.