April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Caricatootles

14 Feb 2017 21:21 #15259 by em...
Replied by em... on topic CGAN Caricatootles
I don't think it's a problem with the eyes per se, but more with the area between the eyebrow and the eye (whatever it's called) - his are quite fatty and puffy and overlap most of his upper eyelids and the outside corners of his eyes. I'm not really getting that feel enough from your caricature.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Feb 2017 21:04 - 25 Feb 2017 12:48 #15343 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic CGAN Caricatootles
A movie Snow White starring a miscast Kristen Stewart.

And even though I said I wouldn't, I couldn't stop fiddling with that Spike picture...

...don't know why I bothered cos it still doesn't work, I even tried flipping it and everything. :lol:
I actually don't mind it as a generic painting (the lighting, the colours etc) but it just looks nothing like him.
And so it is now definitely abandoned. Definitely.

PS. And speaking of caricatures, is Wittygraphy down again? I've been getting "website unavailable" messages for days now.
EDIT: Hooray, it's working again for me. I can lurk again over there. :)
Attachments:

03 Mar 2017 21:32 #15403 by Valence
A slightly better version of the previous Scully pic...

I have been trying to do a Lily Collins Snow White but I can't quite get her face right so I won't embarrass myself further by posting that. :whistle: (I think I've learnt my lesson after that Spike failure. :lol:)

And looking further down the list, I think I'm gonna have to google Modesty Blaise. I have no idea who that is! :?
Attachments:

04 Mar 2017 09:05 - 04 Mar 2017 09:06 #15405 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic CGAN Caricatootles
*gasp* :ohmy: You don't know Modesty!? She's like my all time favourite comic book heroine!
(EDIT: come to think of it, making a caricature of a comic book character can be hard - but she has been made into movies once or twice so... there are actresses to use for the caricature as well)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

04 Mar 2017 14:37 - 04 Mar 2017 14:37 #15406 by em...

*gasp* :ohmy: You don't know Modesty!? She's like my all time favourite comic book heroine!

In one of those strange quirks, Modesty is much more popular in Sweden and India than in her native UK or other English speaking countries.

(EDIT: come to think of it, making a caricature of a comic book character can be hard - but she has been made into movies once or twice so... there are actresses to use for the caricature as well)

I'd intended (when I get round to it) going with Monica Vitti from the 60s' movie.

04 Mar 2017 14:47 #15407 by Charlotte
What a shame. She's one of few female comic book heroines who aren't way too objectified. I mean, she's still sexy and all but she is so on her own terms and it's always been very clear. I'm not sure how I'm doing on those caricatures (well, I uh... know I'm not doing anything at all at the moment) but when/if I get to Modesty I might try to find an actress I'd like to see play her. Not sure... But I always pictured Modesty as "interracial" and the actresses have all been fairly caucasian. Monica Vitti does capture the whole 60-ies style though :)

04 Mar 2017 15:14 - 04 Mar 2017 15:19 #15408 by em...

when/if I get to Modesty I might try to find an actress I'd like to see play her. Not sure... But I always pictured Modesty as "interracial" and the actresses have all been fairly caucasian.

She does tend to look quite Italian in the actual strips, and Monica Vitti was quite a good visual match to that, although Modesty's actual ethnicity is undetermined (originally surfacing unnamed in Greece, without any history). There is the unofficial theory posited that she's the daughter of Tarzan and La of Opar, which would make her mixed race.

Someone like Ruth Negga would fit that bill nicely.

I'm using John M Burns art (who only did a short run, but who I'm a big fan of) as the reference for Ruth as Modesty, as his version was - to me - the most mixed race looking.

Attachments:

04 Mar 2017 15:17 #15409 by Charlotte
Yeah Ruth Negga kicks ahem... :woohoo:
I always imagined she might have some asian or indian ancestry. I can't remember that she surfaced in Greece but I do remember (vaguely) a story about her youth and I dunno, maybe I invented my own backstory :P

04 Mar 2017 18:49 #15412 by em...

A slightly better version of the previous Scully pic...

Looks fab. Great likeness and expression.

I have been trying to do a Lily Collins Snow White but I can't quite get her face right

She's very cute, but her relatively small eyes (in comparison to her massive eyebrows, anyway) and her quite bulbous nose tip are contrary to the usual big eyes and petite nose that signify "cuteness".

I've painted her a couple of times, and I've also recently done Kristen Stewart and Ginnifer Goodwin (from Once Upon a Time), so there's not a lot of Snow Whites left to me if I don't want to repeat myself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

04 Mar 2017 19:29 #15413 by Valence
I just had a look at Monica Vitti in some YouTube clips this afternoon. 60s films are ... weird. :lol:

With Lily Collins there are three things that I think of. First the obvious massive eyebrows.
Secondly, she seems to have a very round head (although after my failure I did check out your version, em, and yours has a longer style of head that tapers towards the top. It is still amazing to me how people can get accurate likenesses by exaggerating differing, almost opposing, things.)
And the third thing is those small beady eyes. She always reminds me of those Julian Opie portraits with the small circles for eyes. If I could do clean edges and colours I'd probably try something like that. But I can't. :)