April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Attos' Sketchbook and Studies NSFW Nudity

03 Oct 2018 22:31 #22396 by Valence
There's no need to force yourself to draw or paint. Your art will be there when you need it and whatever feelings you get distracted by on the way are just part of the process and part of her memory.
Be proud of the life you gave her, not everyone has done that (I certainly haven't!) And time isn't the measure of how we live.

I could write more but I'm sure you've had enough platitudes from people who haven't experienced what you have, but just know that your presence, your words and your art are always welcome here. Always. Don't ever think that you're a distraction that you should apologise for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Jan 2019 00:57 #23469 by Atto
Wow it's been a long time since I've posted on this thread!
I'm joining in a Draw It In Your Style thing on Instagram to try and motivate myself - 1 dodgy piece of art a month is going to get me nowhere.
So heres my interpretation (still a WIP) of Joanacchis piece.
Its more of a complete reinvention than a copy in my own style but there you go.

Goldfish and a LOT more hair still to add. I think something is off with it but Ive stared too long at it to see straight anymore and I dont mean the dodgy shading on the claw like hand (though feel free to pull me up on that please)

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

20 Jan 2019 09:46 #23471 by Charlotte
Might have to look that thing up on Insta :)

For the hand, I think the two outstretched fingers look too long because the others are comparatively placed too low on her hand. And maybe it's the lack of a hairline that makes things look off for now? hmm and maybe a bit of the shading/form of the eye to our right... :P But it's a good wip and interesting to see how different it is from the original. :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

20 Jan 2019 12:47 #23472 by Valence
I've seen a few people on Reddit talking about that Draw In Your Style Insta thing so it's good to see how it works in practice.

Now I'm no expert on hands *ahem* but I agree with Charlotte, I think nudging the curled fingers up a bit will solve that. Also a bit of reflected light bouncing up into that shaded side of the face will define the form a bit more as that area looks like a bit of a void at the moment.
Love the angle of the viewpoint though, and that distant, thoughtful stare is lovely.

20 Jan 2019 14:05 #23474 by Atto
Thanks both. That issue with the hands is glaringly obvious (now you point it out). There’s going to be a membrane connecting her fingers too. The void you mention Val was left because there’s going to be a goldfish there but once he’s in I may add some reflected light if it still looks a little empty.
I’m thinking of putting an orange/red overlay layer over the top of her as when I drew the goldfish last night the colours looked awful. May even add fish scales to her face.

20 Jan 2019 18:38 #23479 by Atto
Aaaaaand think I may be done.
Im not gonna post it on Insta just yet but could you lovely people give me any more feed back pls.
I have this horrible habit of posting and then going - meh it's just not finished to a high enough standard - conversely I dont want to spend ages on it, I'm getting itchy to move on to something else.

Attachments:

20 Jan 2019 19:14 #23482 by Charlotte
Posting is a great way of seeing all ones mistakes... :P

I took the liberty of doodling a bit on top, though I am aware that it's a bit of "my style" rather than "your style" which rather counteracts the point of the piece...

First, I still think the hairline looks wrong, making it seem like the hair floats a bit above her... (like seaweed - maybe it is!) And also I think you managed the round little bellies of goldfish wonderfully on all but one fish. These two things I squigglied in purple. (With a cat on my tablet)

Second, I just played around with a bit more colour - a bit more saturated red along the deepest shadows, and a bit of blue in the left lower corner. Oh and I colored her eyes. Though perhaps lime green wasn't the best choice :P

And third, I also fussed around with an airbrush softening the paint in some areas. I know you paint with more contrasts and edges than I do between colours, but especially on the neck, I feel that unless she was meant to have gills, the creases were perhaps a bit too pronounced?

Anyway, apart from the purple squiggles it's all playing around on my part.

Attachments:

20 Jan 2019 19:54 #23483 by Atto
Thanks Charlotte, that’s really kind of you to take the time to do this. I agree about the fish bellies (like to say I was going to change it but I just plain forgot). I love the extra red too, it fits much better with the original colour way. The hair line was supposed to appear as if it was floating away but I see you point. I may have to do as you suggest and try to get the floatiness by re aligning the hair strands.
Thanks again.

21 Jan 2019 18:36 #23498 by Atto
So I’ve tried to incorporate some of your advice Charlotte. I agree that edges are normally more visible in my art than yours so while I’ve softened some areas I didn’t want to go the whole hog. I tried changing the eye colour too but wasn’t happy with the results.
So here’s the final that you can see gracing the pages of insta and FB.

Attachments:

21 Jan 2019 18:45 #23499 by Charlotte
:thumbup:
(but you forgot to chubbify that one fishy)