April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Attos' Sketchbook and Studies NSFW Nudity

29 Jan 2018 09:26 #20045 by Charlotte
:giggle: at edit...

I'm the same, sometimes I have to post things to see things more clearly/obectively.

Personally I think there could be more done to the boat - the wood might be dark and rotted in places, especially on the undersite (since the ground in forests tend to be damp) and I'd still love to see a pile of the debris on the lower side of the deck, with leaves and pine needles (well, brownish muck mainly). The perspective on that orange thing (crane mighth be the word I'm looking for?) feels a bit off/exaggerated at the bottom, but that could be hidden by that (now very convenient) pile of forest debris... ;)

Also the railing seems to be of two different types but since the boat has that crane on one side I'm guessing that might be just as it should be...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jan 2018 17:45 #20053 by Atto
Thanks Charlotte,
I completely agree with you on that railing - it's weird having one side wood and the other metal. It was like that on the ref so I came to the same conclusion you did but it may be that I have to take some artistic licence here as it feels a little jarring.
The perspective on the crane looks like the ref too, I think it may be that its actually the design of the crane but I'm gonna take another look.
As for the debris - I agree. I feel like the set designers on Bladerunner after Ridley Scott first came on set -
"Yeah its a good start but it needs to be dirtier!"
Going to spend some more time on it this week - Thanks for the feedback though - greatly appreciated!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

01 Feb 2018 03:17 #20087 by Atto
Finished.

Attachments:

01 Feb 2018 12:12 #20095 by Digital Dave
Looks nice. - You may want to look at adding some shadow around the base/bottom of the orange structure though. It would help place it, and it appears to be somewhat floating above the deck at the moment.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

04 Feb 2018 00:53 #20154 by Atto
Crankshaft wrote:

Speaking of painting my skills must be poop by now. Kind of scared to paint now.

Yours and mine both Crank. Here's todays attempt at traditional media stuff - hard pastels.

Oh dear!

Attachments:

04 Feb 2018 15:29 #20158 by Valence
Looks OK to me. You've got a good sense of depth with those different planes guiding you into the landscape.
Makes all my attempts look stoopid.

I have a box of oil pastels somewhere and I've never managed to do a single thing with them. Not one. :( It's the same with coloured pencils. I just can't understand how to control colours and value, especially if it involves yellow in some way.

04 Feb 2018 17:09 #20159 by Charlotte
I think it looks fine too. Everybody's so hard on themselves here :P

Val, not sure if it'd help since I haven't used coloured pencil in ages, but your comment made me think of Frazettas watercolor work. He used purple for shadows even if it wasn't particularly dark. Maybe that approach works with pencils too (more warm vs cool than light vs dark). Or saturated vs desaturated. Though that reminds me what I found frustrating about coloured pencils - the lack of coverage. Just being able to paint bucket a whole area is like being in heaven :P

04 Feb 2018 17:50 #20161 by Valence
Yeah, coverage is a pain. But I think my issues with both pastels and pencils, is having to mix colours optically on the canvas rather than physically on the palette. I just can't get believable transitions and end up with blocks of flat colour like a kid's colouring book. :blush:

But if you really want to experience frustrated inadequacy with coloured pencils then go to YouTube and search for Heather Rooney. And then get annoyed. Very annoyed!.

04 Feb 2018 18:53 - 09 Feb 2018 08:33 #20162 by Charlotte

But if you really want to experience frustrated inadequacy with coloured pencils then go to YouTube and search for Heather Rooney. And then get annoyed. Very annoyed!.

:blink: Sounds like I'd better pass... :dry:

09 Feb 2018 00:48 - 09 Feb 2018 00:48 #20204 by Atto
Just a little something I'm working on while I try to figure out how to bolster my image for this months challenge after all the other fantastic posts....

Attachments: