March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Attos' Sketchbook and Studies NSFW Nudity

28 Mar 2016 22:43 #13603 by Atto
Thanks Crank.
I've been away the last few days at an Easter event where there was a very cool Victorian Merry go round with some awesome sign writing so I'm all referenced up with regard to the text that I'll be dropping in.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Mar 2016 23:21 - 31 Mar 2016 23:22 #13613 by Atto
A little more on this one.

Attachments:

01 Apr 2016 20:13 #13621 by Valence
Looking good. There's some nice detail and design in the outfit.
I noticed that there's a very similar set of hues throughout the image. I was going to suggest adding a bit of variety in the skin tones but actually keeping it consistent like it is may help the text pop out more when that's added later.

Have you scaled it up to that A1 size yet?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

02 Apr 2016 03:56 #13625 by crankshaft
Wow looking good! The hand feels off, particularly the thumb. I don't think the thumb should be able to bend backwards that much. I would also curl or curve the other fingers a bit more to reinforce the forshortening.

02 Apr 2016 14:09 #13626 by Atto
Thanks Val, I haven't scaled it up yet, need to add in the text and flatten it before I do to keep the file size as low as possible. I had a similar thought regarding the hues but also came to the same conclusion about the text. I'll be adding that today and I'm thinking off-white and the dirty blue from the first image will help make it pop.

Cheers Crank, I need to work some more on that hand (actually both of them) but I see your point especially about the thumb.
Hopefully I'll be able to post a near completed version tonight.

04 Apr 2016 23:54 - 04 Apr 2016 23:55 #13638 by Atto
Almost ready to scale up. (I've now been told it's fine to let you see the company name.)

Attachments:

05 Apr 2016 13:20 #13643 by Valence
I think crankshaft is right about the thumb and it's creating a tangent with the similar coloured clothing behind, so much so that I started to think that maybe it was a crease in the cloth. Just moving it a little bit will make it clearer.
The mask is a nice addition too.

19 Apr 2016 21:09 #13698 by Atto
Thanks Val - the client never mentioned the thumb and as I was already running way over (my own deadline not theirs) I made the decision to leave the thumb alone. The final is now posted in my gallery if you guys want to check it out.
Back to some personal work while I continue with more hard edged design commissions.
Completely unintentional but I find her a little reminiscent of The Mother of Dragons (yes I cant be bothered to check the spelling of Denearys).

Attachments:

19 Apr 2016 21:27 #13699 by Valence
Yes, I did notice the final image when you posted it in the gallery and I also noticed the extra shading you put on the thumb. It works rather well as a way of separating it from the flatter colour of the fabric behind. There's often more than one way to solve little issues like that and you found an effective one. :)
Don't spend all of your fee at once! :lol:

And the new one looks good so far. Keep an eye on the relationship between the shoulder and armpit. Those areas always look awkward with flat colours but become "easier" (?) to visualise when you add more shading.

19 Apr 2016 21:57 #13700 by Atto
I have literally just finished the details on the eyes and mouth when I went "Arggggghhhhh! Whats going on with the shoulder/armpit part" So I've taken a little break to reset my eyes (and head) and saw your comment. Thanks - I won't throw my PC out the window just yet. :lol: