April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Sapir's Sketchbook (Manga and Anatomy)

02 May 2015 14:27 #10489 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Practicing Manga
Speaking of anatomy you should get Andrew Loomis Figure drawing for all it's worth and check out proko dot com. He does very in depth tutorials on the human figure. Hope this helps !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 May 2015 19:23 #10491 by sapirlapid
Replied by sapirlapid on topic Practicing Manga
Thanks everyone for the tips!
It's been a week since I last practice ( :blush: ) so today I did full 2 pages with 29 hands!

19 May 2015 19:40 #10711 by sapirlapid
Replied by sapirlapid on topic Practicing Manga
Long time no post :P

I changed the thread topic because it's not only about manga anymore and I think people that are not interested in manga but can help me with hands just don't come in because of it.

So my last study was:

And of course some manga! (All from references but one [The ugly one]).

19 May 2015 20:00 #10712 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Practicing Manga
Those manga faces are pretty good and I can't see an ugly one in there so you must be getting better working from imagination. You're getting better positions for the nose now as well so the faces have a much more rounded form to them. Well done.

Hands are very hard though, aren't they? They always scare me and there are no easy cheats to help you on your way. You just have to keep observing and analysing, and keep practicing. Improvement will come if you persevere with it.

23 May 2015 02:03 #10757 by crankshaft
Great dedication! Wow 2 pages of 29 hands! Persistence will pay off!

23 May 2015 09:12 #10762 by sapirlapid
Replied by sapirlapid on topic Sapir's Sketchbook (Manga and Anatomy)
Thanks everyone!
Yes hands give me a hard time, I still can't really make good hands from imagination but I won't stop practicing :P

So yesterday I made a new manga face from imagination, I wanted to try to make a finished artwork with everything I learned so far. It was drawn and colored in Sketchbook Pro on iPad 2 and the blur was made in photoshop.

Now I think it looks fine but still not at the level of the drawing made from references..
And I forgot to flip the image horizontally at the sketch stage so when I did it at the final stage the drawing was a bit wrong...

25 May 2015 00:11 #10788 by Valence
All the details and the shading are nice here and the blurring of the hair is an interesting effect. I think you've already seen that the issues are related to the slight skewing of the centre line and the line of the eyes, both of which can be solved by flipping. And the fact that you've realised this yourself shows that you're making good progress. One extra change I'd make is to have more of the hair behind the head than in front. Just by slightly repositioning the features that you've already drawn can give a better shape to the head like this…

Because there are so few lines in Manga drawings the effects are really subtle so if you just take an extra moment to check those centre lines at the start then it'll really pay off at the end.
Well done with the progress and keep at it!
Attachments: