April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Mindbender's sketches, doodles and studies

26 Feb 2015 17:33 #9133 by Charlotte
I usually use bounce lights to reflect the colours of the environment on my character (if a portrait) and also colours from my character (e.g. clothes) back onto the environment (walls, floors etc.) The reflected colours help bind the pieces of the image together.

Not sure a bounce light should be darker than the local colour? Never heard that - but then again I probably haven't heard loads of things :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mindbender

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Feb 2015 17:41 - 26 Feb 2015 17:41 #9134 by Mindbender
Yes, I mostly think of colour when I think of reflected light, using it to describe adjacent objects and/or light sources.

In the "standard model" of light and shade on a sphere, the reflected light is rather dark. Example:

Attachments:

26 Feb 2015 18:07 #9136 by Charlotte
Come to think of it I have seen that sphere before :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

26 Feb 2015 22:10 #9138 by Domtopia
That's what I meant Mind. Well done for finding a good example of it! I find that you should use whatever colour (or light) is adjacent to the shadow side of the object to highlight the shadow.

Like Charlotte said, it ties the image to its environment. Forgetting to add the bounce-light is an amateur mistake, but is so simple to do!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mindbender

27 Feb 2015 13:15 #9145 by Mindbender
Yes, I'll have to return to the basics for the rest of my life, no matter how skilled artist I may become. That's the beauty of art to me - a lifelong commitment to master something that can always be taken to yet another level of sofistication, one step closer to the essence of what you are trying to express. :D

Here's a quick character design study sketch from today:
Attachments:

28 Feb 2015 16:19 #9187 by crankshaft
Looking good mindbender! It could use more tone work though such as more halftones and darker occlusion shadows. Don't forget about the local value of the subject, eg this yoda would be green. If you rendered green in greyscale it would quite dark. Hope this helps!

28 Feb 2015 17:15 #9189 by Domtopia
Why would green be darker in grey?

I think that this would look great with a little colour though. Using colour to highlight would be interesting. Alternatively, you could use coloured paper and keep the work tonal and greyscale. Or just scan it in to a computer (which you have already) and colour the background, achieving the same result.

Some ideas anyway!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

02 Mar 2015 15:00 #9268 by Digital Dave
Always a Yoda fan. But then again, I think most are. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

29 Dec 2015 12:10 #13094 by Mindbender
Yes, fans of yoda we all seem to be ;) Too long since I posted something here - got to change that in a not too distant future...

16 Dec 2017 17:11 #19607 by Mindbender
Time flies, time to post something... :)

Cersei (Lena Headey) study

Attachments: