March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

this damn sketchbook

20 Jun 2015 22:11 #11417 by fraufrau
Replied by fraufrau on topic this damn sketchbook

Nice sketches. :)

Thank you bunches! :cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jun 2015 02:54 #11422 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic this damn sketchbook
I just looked up Jace Wallace, impressive stuff :woohoo: Your sketches look like a pre image from one of his pics,

Did you use a model, or is that from a reference, looks great!

21 Jun 2015 03:12 #11423 by fraufrau

I just looked up Jace Wallace, impressive stuff :woohoo: Your sketches look like a pre image from one of his pics,

Did you use a model, or is that from a reference, looks great!

TT____TT Thanks very much. It's super flattering you say that (and it wasn't even my intention!)

I used them from a photo reference. But soonish I'll finally be doing some live models! :]

27 Jul 2015 22:37 #11858 by fraufrau
Hey everyone, I'm back with some more arts to share! /wave

Up first is a still life from my portfolio development class.

27 Jul 2015 22:38 #11859 by fraufrau
Another still life of my bike and my fruit tree. Done with ink nib, wash, and brushes.

27 Jul 2015 22:39 #11860 by fraufrau
My first water color painting! I have this thing for sunsets and I love the concept of floating islands. It's not really original, but they're fun and exciting to do.

27 Jul 2015 22:40 #11861 by fraufrau
And last but not least, my fist acrylic painting. I'm trying to break out of my comfort zone and dig into some new mediums and environments, so I guess you could say my watercolor and this painting are my first and second environmental pics.

28 Jul 2015 00:26 - 28 Jul 2015 00:29 #11864 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic this damn sketchbook
Nice to see some traditional work.
The first still life with the fruit is very well observed, everything is very recognisable even without the shading and there's still a sense of mass and a connection to the plane that they rest on thanks to the darker lines on the underside of the objects. It's all too easy for contour drawings to float in blank space but everything here is very well anchored.
I also like the design of the watercolour and your use of colours in both the paintings. That blue/orangey combo to the background of the acrylic painting creates a nice distant radiance that separates it from the local colour of the foreground. Perhaps adding some kind of transitional middle ground features would make the depth ever better but the overall mood is impressive.

01 Aug 2015 02:24 #11910 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic this damn sketchbook
Great traditional stuff. For the last painting the yellow is really nice but I think having some cooler blues in the foreground would of helped balance the warmth of the glow/fire.

01 Aug 2015 23:15 #11933 by fraufrau

Nice to see some traditional work.
The first still life with the fruit is very well observed, everything is very recognisable even without the shading and there's still a sense of mass and a connection to the plane that they rest on thanks to the darker lines on the underside of the objects. It's all too easy for contour drawings to float in blank space but everything here is very well anchored.
I also like the design of the watercolour and your use of colours in both the paintings. That blue/orangey combo to the background of the acrylic painting creates a nice distant radiance that separates it from the local colour of the foreground. Perhaps adding some kind of transitional middle ground features would make the depth ever better but the overall mood is impressive.

Thank you, Valence! I rarely ever do still lifes, and to be able to nail this one made me super happy. The apple was definitely a pain, but I finally worked with it enough to be satisfied of its shape and form. I also did feel like the middle ground was lacking just a bit, so I plan to add some more trees there. Thanks for the crits! :)