April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Vaguely Recognisable Faces

01 May 2017 15:18 #15987 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Vaguely Recognisable Faces

I can't take credit for the colour scheme though as the ref had that lighting but my version turned out a bit more vivid and I kind of liked it that way. :)

Remember this conversation Val?

You:

The cool light from the right side is a nice touch. It adds just enough dimension to the figure to give a sense of the position in space

Me:

Thanks Val, though that was on the ref image so I can't take credit for it too much.

You:

Reference or not, you still have to paint it and you painted it well.

:P

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 May 2017 20:40 #15993 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Vaguely Recognisable Faces

Remember this conversation Val?

No. :P
Can't remember what happened yesterday.

Who are you again?

And who the hell am I?

05 May 2017 20:18 #16119 by Valence
Another thick paint extravaganza....
Tom Hanks...

Well, I say "Tom Hanks" but it went through the obligatory Bill Murray phase then had a bit of Robin Williams until I corrected the nose and jawline. But it'll do. :whistle:

I don't think it's quite as successful as the previous Oil Brush picture partly because of the vivid yellow mixes that often crop up with that particular tool. It made it very difficult to control the lighter areas of skin but I managed to neutralize it a bit towards the end. It just lacks the subtlety I would have liked. :shrug:
Attachments:

05 May 2017 20:21 #16120 by Charlotte
I think it's a well done portrait. Unfortunately I don't like Hanks much so looking at it creeps me out :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

09 Jun 2017 20:59 - 09 Jun 2017 21:03 #16456 by Valence
This week I haven't been able to do much except for occasional face doodles.
So here are some ... face doodles.

A loose sketch of Tommy Lee Jones.

And some Twin Peaks stuff, from the old shows seeing as I haven't seen the new episodes. :(

"It is happening ... again!"

"!kcoR s'teL"

"Diane, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies."

Attachments:

10 Jun 2017 08:44 #16460 by Charlotte
I like the Tommy Lee Jones - you've got his sad face down for sure :P
And Twin Peaks.... I'm still not sure how I feel about the new season. At first I thought it was going to be a remake and I thought "meh" (yep, that's a complete thought) but then I realised it was a continuation and I remember how utterly frustrated I was with the original ending... Still... I'd need to see all the old episodes all over again to even remember what it was about - or at least remember it better. But it's fun with all these old characters popping up here and there, each doing their bit to remind me :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

13 Jun 2017 13:19 #16481 by Valence
Thanks, Charlotte.
I found Tommy Lee Jones to be quite difficult (and it shows.) He has such texture to his skin that its hard to find and define the planes of his face and it's easy to end up with a shapeless mess.

I think the first 10 episodes of Twin Peaks are as good as anything that's ever been made. The rest of Season two was somewhat less impressive and makes me a bit unsure about what the new ones are/will be like. (Also those recent X-Files episodes, which were pretty poor apart from the Darin Morgan one, have made me very sceptical of nostalgic revivals.) It'll be brilliant or awful. Or perhaps both at the same time. :)

And just to keep this thread from getting too dusty, here's a quick pencil sketch done from photo ref. Done with real actual pencil :woohoo: ...and then touched up in Sketchbook to add highlights and shadows. :whistle:

Attachments:

15 Jun 2017 11:51 #16499 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Vaguely Recognisable Faces

Also those recent X-Files episodes, which were pretty poor apart from the Darin Morgan one

You're not wrong.

15 Jun 2017 11:59 #16503 by Charlotte

Also those recent X-Files episodes, which were pretty poor apart from the Darin Morgan one

So.... which episode was that? I don't think I saw all of the new ones... And I pretty much only remember one where a guy was some sort of dormant reptilian were-human or something (strangely enough drinking the same stuff as Mulder - I'm not sure how to interpret that episode but I got the feeling that maybe it was all in Mulder's head...)

15 Jun 2017 12:07 - 15 Jun 2017 12:08 #16504 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Vaguely Recognisable Faces

I pretty much only remember one where a guy was some sort of dormant reptilian were-human or something

That's the one.