April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Vaguely Recognisable Faces

30 Oct 2015 21:46 #12712 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Vaguely Recognisable Faces
There are far too many Game Of Thrones portraits/caricatures on the internet and the world doesn't need another one, least of all from me. And yet...
Here's a quick Tyrion doodle done from obvious reference while I blindly and desperately grope for ideas for the latest challenge(s). Well I say doodle but the hair took far too long and wasn't worth that effort (could've spent that time on a better likeness!)
I do wish I wouldn't always fall back into that boring strand by strand technique but I just can't resist it however wrong it may be. :evil:

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Oct 2015 19:03 #12719 by Digital Dave
Looks quite nice, Valence. :) I haven't watched any of the episodes from this last season, with working so much, but plan to do so sometime here soon. Maybe over the upcoming holidays. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

01 Nov 2015 23:22 #12727 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Vaguely Recognisable Faces
Val,
I see absolutely no problem with the likeness here and I think the background with the light pouring in through the window is also really well handled.
I'm also loving the Christopher Walken piece above, that is a very cool texture you have going on. It's the eyes and lips that really sell it to me, not so sure about the nose though, but still very nice.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

02 Nov 2015 01:44 #12733 by Valence
Pretty much every caricature of Tyrion squashes all his features together very low down to emphasize his size, and for 95% of this pic I was doing the same. Then just before I posted it I realised that Peter Dinklage actually has a longer face than I imagined so I quickly moved the eyes up. With such a late change I'm still not sure which version is best. :shrug:
But I definitely haven't managed to get that posh-boy pout of his right. If I could be bothered to keep going then that's where the time would go.

05 Feb 2016 20:49 #13296 by Valence
*blows dust of this thread*
*cough*

Quick creepy face doodle.

Maggie Smith with her Downton Abbey snarky face.
Attachments:

06 Feb 2016 10:07 #13305 by Charlotte
You did really well on Maggie Smith! I would somehow like the forehead to be as detailed ("wrinkly") as other areas of the face but looking at photos she does have a very smooth forehead....

The creepy guy looks like he's escaped from Star Wars ... :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

06 Feb 2016 15:06 #13306 by Valence
Yes I think the emperor may have been controlling my hand while I did that mindless doodle. :lol: The dark side is strong with him.

You're right about that forehead. Getting consistent detail and texture across all of the skin is something that consciously bothers me and while wrinkles around the eyes and cheeks are quite intuitive to do, the forehead is often a problem area for me and the easiest thing to do is just chicken out and blend it away.
I think it needs more subtlety and patience.
Ah, yes, Patience. Whatever that is! :P

04 Mar 2016 21:22 #13466 by cgmythology
Nice updates, have to say I really enjoy how you handle the skin rendering specifically in your paintings. My only critique would be to avoid using pure white on the highlights, use a slightly darker color/hue light a bright yellow or turquoise for a more natural feel. Keep it up!

04 Mar 2016 22:25 #13467 by Valence
You're absolutely right.
Guilty as charged, I'm afraid. I am a sucker for using, not only white, but pure black too! :blush:
And not only that, I use them in acrylic painting as well, which is even worse! :lol: I blame my impatience. It always feels like the quick and easy option and I just can't resist.
Ah, it feels good to confess my sins. :)

09 Apr 2016 00:07 #13664 by Valence
Another random pretty face from tumblr for a bit of portrait practice...

I'm not impressed by the hand but... :shrug:
Attachments: