April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Vaguely Recognisable Faces

30 Sep 2017 01:28 #18333 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Vaguely Recognisable Faces
I'll have to work out how to use Dropbox first. :lol:

And 'Play' is too generous a word for this. It's a short and shallow experience. The important bit was learning how to do it.

Today I was trying to add some sound to it to make it a less silent affair. I'm not that great at drawing, less good at coding but when it comes to music my "ability" hits absolute rock bottom. :)
I was thinking about this a couple of weeks ago and spent a while playing with www.Jukedeck.com which is great fun for the talentless. I particularly like the Bladerunner-style synth tracks you can make, but I couldn't generate anything that matched this mood. Then I realised that rather than songs of arbitrary length, games really need music that loops. So I've been learning how to use Audacity to make ambient sounds that loop in the background. And that has been less fun. And it doesn't help that my PC's dodgy audio chip cuts out every 20 secs, and the AGS android emulator doesn't do sound either so there's a surprising amount of guesswork involved! :lol:

I'll be glad when I get back to drawing funny faces in ArtRage. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Sep 2017 08:09 #18338 by Charlotte
well at least you're learning new things! Which is fun in itself even if a few of those things are less fun then others :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

20 Oct 2017 22:28 #18794 by Valence
Another attempt at pixel pushing, or should that be "Lo-Res" rubbish. ;)

Still needs much more polish in the shading but I think working at 640 rather than the ultra-retro 320 pixels makes it a little easier to define things, even though it obviously takes longer to do. (But personally, I do prefer the 320-look for these things.:whistle: )
And eagle-eyed viewers will notice that I just pasted in the interface from the last one. :P
Attachments:

21 Oct 2017 08:43 #18797 by Charlotte
no eagle eyes here... :confident:

27 Oct 2017 21:56 #18911 by Valence
I think it's been about two months since I did something in ArtRage so it's about time I had another go at something. So here's an attempt at Idris Elba...

Not the best likeness but I'm out of practice. :lol:
I did have a go at another one but didn't quite work it to a finish so I'll try and clean that one up next time I launch ArtRage. Hopefully in less than two months. :P
Attachments:

28 Oct 2017 02:35 #18913 by Digital Dave
I have Artrage, but have mostly used it for sketching. ... I've always wanted to dig deeper into it, but I never did. But I also have PaintStorm Studio, but again find myself using PhotoShop.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

30 Oct 2017 21:41 #18955 by Valence
If you ever do switch from Photoshop I'd start out by using the hard-edged airbrush. It's the tool that behaves most like the stuff you're previously used to. Although I think newer versions of ArtRage have some kind of custom brush options but I'm not sure what they're like. I do know that creating sticker sets in the older versions is awkward and baffling so they can't be as bad as that. :)

And as I promised myself, I did get around to "finishing" that other sketch...
A rather gaudy and slightly flat attempt at Robert Downey Jnr.

...I may have overdone the Iron Man colours and it could probably use a bit more shading in places. :S
Attachments:

31 Oct 2017 07:15 #18958 by Charlotte
Call it a Tony Stark portrait instead and the ironman colours work fine :)

27 Nov 2017 21:59 #19335 by Valence
I'll shove this one here so that I don't block up the scribbles thread with pics that may or may not be scribbles. (But I still think it is a scribble.) :)

Just another reddit face, I was gonna try this with ArtRage's watercolours but it went very wrong so I went back to my airbrush. :P
Attachments:

29 Nov 2017 12:55 #19371 by Valence
A quick watercolour. Real watercolour, not ArtRage (I really do want to do an ArtRage watercolour pic but I struggle to control them, although I am slowly learning how to use them.)

I was gonna do the lips in a normal flesh tone, and I still might, but the fear of ruining traditional pics without a real life Undo button makes me hesitate. And I sort of like the pale white mouth. :shrug:
Attachments: