March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Vaguely Recognisable Faces

27 Dec 2014 19:09 #7863 by cgmythology
Jack Nicholson came out great, really dig how handled his eyes and facial expression, right on point!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Apr 2015 20:38 #10268 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Vaguely Recognisable Faces
Hmm, been neglecting this thread a bit … and may continue to neglect it in future. :)
But in the meantime I'll shove a sketch in here….

…just something done in Photoshop from a random photo reference off tumblr. I wanted to have a go at doing some "freckley" skin texture. I shaded it smooth first and then went over it with just the basic hard round brush with the scatter cranked up to 500% and I think it sort of worked (I perhaps overdid it on the chin area though.)
If I could be bothered finishing it then I'd work some more form and detail into the hair and probably reshape the nose. I do have a bad habit of doing "default" noses that always look a bit … well, wrong.
Attachments:

21 Apr 2015 20:57 #10272 by hobbyhorse
I think it turned out rather nice. Can't see anything that stands out or looks out of place. Like it

22 Apr 2015 07:43 #10280 by Charlotte
I agree with Hobby, it turned out nice. The one thing I see is the shoulder on the right side that seems wider than the other, maybe just due to the fuzzy edges and white glow... (I do like that is IS fuzzy and out of focus though)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

25 Apr 2015 20:51 #10372 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Vaguely Recognisable Faces
I think it looks good too Val.

You mentioned the nose and chin already. I think you are right. The chin is too sharp and too much of it is cut away especially on the right side. The eyes are different shapes too. The left one is longer I think. Also, the right nostril appears larger than the left one.

The skin colour and texture looks great. The form and mass around the mouth is spot on too. Nice work!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

26 Apr 2015 13:18 #10376 by crankshaft
Great job! I think the freckles turned out very natural looking! I also like the blurry and fuzzy background as it really suggests a sense of mystery for the piece. Just a nice touch, I think having some glow/highlight in her eyes would also go well with the glowing aura of the background as well.

12 Aug 2015 20:35 #12037 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Vaguely Recognisable Faces

Cara Delevingne. Had fun doing this one. I think I could push it a bit further ... if I could be bothered. :P

This one's based on a picture of Christopher Walken.
The likeness isn't quite there as much as I'd want but I do like this just because it was all done with the loaded palette knife and the blurring palette knife in ArtRage (with a tiny bit of airbrush for the facial details) and it creates a nice messy effect that appeals to me.

And finally my deadline missing attempt at the Mad Hatter's Party.

I'm a bit annoyed that I missed the deadline (I botched the cards and couldn't fix it in time nor could I go back having already done the mouse) but the extra few days did give me chance to also put in the mirror and frame which manages to fill the dead space at the top and fix the compositional problems.
Attachments:

15 Aug 2015 01:53 #12048 by crankshaft
Great pics! I would put more form shadows on Cara's cheeks because they look a bit blown out (high value) and flat. Hope this helps!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

20 Aug 2015 16:12 #12074 by Charlotte
I love how your tea party came out - especially how everyone is actually doing something, as you can tell by how all of them have their attention fixed on something and not just staring vaguely at the camera :) Also like what you did with the mirror. I agree it helped the composition (and the twiddles). AND I like how they're both IN the mirror and in front of it. Good work! :woohoo:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

25 Aug 2015 14:13 #12133 by Digital Dave
Agree with Charlotte, the Tea Party pic came out great. The little bunny on the table looks cool with his blue jacket.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D