March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Vaguely Recognisable Faces

10 Dec 2014 19:34 - 10 Dec 2014 19:38 #7628 by Valence
Having just come to the end of a picture I thought I might make an effort and post it somewhere. And I thought I might make another effort and post some recent stuff as well.
Mostly ArtRage except for the "Two Who"s which are a bit older when I preferred PhotoShop.

Christopher Ecclestone with an odd eye but nice leather.

Eternally unfinished Pertwee. Every time I tried it just got worse so I decided to leave it as it is but I'm still tempted to fiddle.

Elisabeth Moss in an unfamiliar pose that doesn't help recognition but it kind of works.

Jack Nicholson. (?) Not happy with this one. Something very wrong with his forehead and I found the texture of his skin very difficult indeed.

Miranda Kerr (allegedly!) The likeness isn't quite there, for reasons I don't understand, but I still rather like this picture despite that.

Natalie Dormer. Still can't decide if big eyes or small eyes work best for her.

Mila Kunis. One of the current challenges over at Wittygraphy and I don't think I can do much more with this without ruining it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Dec 2014 19:18 - 12 Dec 2014 19:26 #7656 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Vaguely Recognisable Faces
Here are another two recent ones (Sophia Loren and John Cleese) that are a little more sketchy. I wanted to put these in the first post but couldn't find them at the time. I should organise folders in a more professional way!

Also, Memo To Self: I must have another go at Jack Nicholson. That previous failure really, really bothers me! Perhaps a different pose that allows easier exaggeration/emphasis of his signature features. But not today.
Attachments:

13 Dec 2014 11:03 #7667 by Charlotte
Thanks for sharing Valence! You've been busy it seems!
I think Eccleston is a bit blurry and Cleese looks a little overweight (!) but other than that, good work. I think maybe Cleese could have been even more "elongated" to look more like himself. :cheer:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

13 Dec 2014 12:33 #7671 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Vaguely Recognisable Faces
Yeah I agree with Charlotte, I think elongating his face would have worked well, but in all honesty valence, these are fantastic!

13 Dec 2014 12:58 #7672 by Valence
I think all the Photoshop ones are "blurry" and all the ArtRage ones are "smeary". :)
I don't spend enough time on them really, I get bored and frustrated very easily and all too quickly. The only one I think I've really "finished" is the Mila Kunis one and that one is my favourite.
I should be more patient.

13 Dec 2014 13:03 #7673 by Charlotte

I should be more patient.

Join the club :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

13 Dec 2014 17:48 #7676 by cgmythology
You draw and paint faces very well, really enjoy how you exaggerate some features while still maintaining their recognizable appearance. Your skin tones are solid as well. Your values could be a bit stronger, however. I'd suggest limiting your palette and separating each element (face, clothing, background) so each element pops out, then you can add further values to give it a more realistic look. Keep it going, you're off to a great start!

13 Dec 2014 19:00 - 13 Dec 2014 19:12 #7677 by Valence

...I'd suggest ... separating each element (face, clothing, background) so each element pops out...

That's an accurate observation. I am a "one layer only" painter and edge separation is one of the things that disappears into all my blurry smearing. Will try to remember that. Thank you.

19 Dec 2014 13:16 #7793 by Digital Dave
Very nice work, Valence. Really like the Miranda Kerr pic.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

24 Dec 2014 19:09 #7833 by Valence
I did say I'd have another go at Jack Nicholson so here's a quick and (very) loose two hour sketch.

I think this one is more recognisable but there's still an oddness to the eyes and it's perhaps a little skewed.
I'm not sure if I can be bothered finishing it to a decent level of detail but if I have free time and no ideas (very likely indeed) then I may push it a little further.
Attachments: