April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Vaguely Recognisable Faces

16 Apr 2018 14:49 #20820 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Vaguely Recognisable Faces
Maybe the baby was wearing flesh-coloured mittens.
Maybe I've rendered them perfectly.

Maybe... :blush:

Also it's worth noting that the baby's hands are in front of everything else so perhaps it's a painterly depth of field effect that inadvertently turns them into a blurry mess of slipshod brushstrokes that look exactly like an evasive, excuse-ridden lack of talent. :confident:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Apr 2018 15:39 #20822 by Charlotte

What, all of them?

Maybe I should have taken a second look at the picture before saying what i did... :dumb:

well... I'll just categorize that as a spelling mistake and blame it on the cat.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

10 Jul 2019 12:52 #25294 by cgmythology
Love portrait, although I have to agree with the critiques regarding the baby, as it gives an illusion that his face is quite aged. I think softening up a bit might help, as well as completely omitting the green shade on his 'mustache' (this should be avoided for babies or toned significantly!!!) Also there's an impression that he has gray hair on his side due to the harsh lighting, I would probably smoothen out a bit more. The female figure is perfect, and I love the composition, color palette and use of texture overall!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

10 Jul 2019 16:18 #25296 by Valence
Hey, remember when I used to use this thread? *wistful nostalgia* :lol:

These days I just dump everything in General Scribbles.

But I do remember those struggles with that baby's head (and the fudging of the hands!) Babies are just too smooth and annoying it's so hard to find the planes and structure in those weird little balloon faces. :)

And looking back at that previous page has made me a bit nostalgic about those fake digital watercolours too. I can't seem to do them now. That's yet another skill I've forgotten. :eyeroll:

16 Sep 2019 23:56 #25964 by Mr. Sabrosito

I don't know what it is about Reddit and nose-rings. It seems like every second person over there has one. And here's another.

man, this one is really good! , you should do a series in this style . THIS WILL MAKE A REALLY COOL NOTEBOOK COVER.

really loving it .

the granny painting looks really nice , nice detail an structure in the face and is really conveing the expression, but that fucking baby is killing the mood man XD.
looks like danny de vito having stomach cramps , you should try decreasing the head a little bit and making the expression a little bit lest harsh , check out another more relaxed baby face for reference.

or it can also work as a grotesque piece, put some tummors and grows on the baby , and put like a post apocaliptic pajama on it with leather straps and miscelaneus pieces of fabric , then put a wasteland as a background XD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

17 Sep 2019 00:54 #25965 by Valence
Thank you.

I did go through a phase of doing those fake watercolour pictures but I don't seem to have the patience for them these days. They seem to require a bit more forethought than the smeary oil ones and when I'm having to edit videos too then that kind of planning just seems like a chore too far.
I should stop being lazy and try to have another go. Memo To Self: Rediscover that patience! :stare:

And yes, I'm not a fan of that Danny Devito baby either (or any baby actually!) But all of these recent pics in this thread, and the Scribbles one, were specific portraits from Reddit so I was kind of limited with the reference. But I would have loved to have seen their reaction when I'd done their baby with tumours! :lol:
That would have been great! :evil: