March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

05 Sep 2017 01:30 #17983 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Thanks Banji! I think I finally understand what was happening! Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Sep 2017 12:57 #18109 by crankshaft
Updates. Finally finished my kit bashed dart ship! My focus here was on design process, such as iterating faster, understanding my ideas/shapes, working more organically (both shape wise and process), learning how to kit bash and more.

Attachments:

09 Sep 2017 12:58 #18110 by crankshaft
Also came up with a useless logo. I decided to give it a feminine touch to push the contrast and back-story. Sakuras is the cherry blossom tree in Japan and the ship's shapes contain flower like shapes. But they're sharp hence "cutting edge beauty." So the ship is beautiful and aggressive. Super fun!

Where it started. No progress what so ever. Very frustrating.

Also did a rough mockup in sketchup bc to help with mirroring the wings. Understanding the overlapping was just awful and all the perspective was educated guessing with some guidelines.

Attachments:

09 Sep 2017 14:43 #18112 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
I seem to be in a nitpicky mode today...
Phoenix is misspelled. Sakura doesn't really have a plural. And the lower pink blossom in the logo doesn't really look like a cherry blossom (more like a lotus made with low-poly shapes giving it "angular" edges instead of smooth curves). For a logo it seems to me, the top one should be enough... Not that I know anything about logo making... :unsure:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

10 Sep 2017 20:03 #18119 by crankshaft
Updates. Nothing special, mainly just rough quick stuff. I want to refrain from big projects for the time being :P

Worked on the wheels and struts.

Going to back to fundamental studies. Stole a plush from my sister:P Complete 180 from my usual stuff but that's why I'm doing it.

Lost the reference half way and it really shows.

10 Sep 2017 20:06 #18120 by crankshaft
Rough sketches.

10 Sep 2017 20:09 #18121 by crankshaft

I seem to be in a nitpicky mode today...
Phoenix is misspelled. Sakura doesn't really have a plural. And the lower pink blossom in the logo doesn't really look like a cherry blossom (more like a lotus made with low-poly shapes giving it "angular" edges instead of smooth curves). For a logo it seems to me, the top one should be enough... Not that I know anything about logo making... :unsure:

Thanks Charlotte! Sharp eyes! Unfortunately I'm going to move on but I'll remember that for next time! Thanks a lot!

11 Sep 2017 20:48 #18130 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Looking forward to seeing the picture of the plush toy. Should be a nice change and a good challenge for you.
But shame on you for stealing from your sister. :evil:

16 Sep 2017 13:14 #18197 by crankshaft
Thanks Val! Hopefully the plush police don't catch me.

Updates. Nothing pretty to show, just in between stuff.

Still life wip. I can't paint or draw for the life of me.

Cg cookie plane wip. I can't model either omg. But I'm really liking 3D and it's helping my 2D a lot.

Disaster. Trying to figure what's going on underneath. Currently applying it all this theory on another piece.

A bit of my workflow/process. When I get stuck I'll toggle between 2d and 3d. So here I simply did a screen grab of my 3d model then painted over it to explore shapes faster. Then I'll go back and model those shapes in 3d. Rinse and repeat. Still learning how to learn.

23 Sep 2017 05:02 #18251 by crankshaft
Updates. Nothing beautiful, just some junk.

Finished the cg cookie plane. Learned a lot! Next model is a motorcycle then I'm going to model a car :P

Still life. Hard surface fail.

Attachments: