March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

29 Apr 2017 16:04 #15964 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Updates. Things are going crazy here. My car is falling apart and I've been getting sick lately. So not much progress.
I realized there were a lot of underlying problems with the rear of the tank. So I've decided the best way to learn is to start over. So I did another base render.

Some things I learned:

-The lighting was too flat and unnatural, being fully front lit at a 45 angle killed form.

-The camera angle was too isometric and had a boring silhouette. By turning the camera more it feels more natural and it shows a better angle of the footprint of the tracks, which is the focal point.

-Values were too complex. I learned that you should never separate local values on the same object bc it creates confusion. Ie the body of a car half red and half blue.

Kit bash wip. Rear wings are getting there.

Visual library study. Sort of gave up with those ellipses.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 May 2017 12:14 #16127 by crankshaft
Updates. No progress what so ever.

Tank rear.

Came up with a new way to do my anatomy studies. Tell me what you think.

I think I solved the problem with those rear wings.

06 May 2017 12:40 #16128 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Actually I'm not sure what's new about your anatomy studies? Personally I suspect you focus too much on the bits and pieces, like we are machines, rather than the overall shape, gesture and proportion. But you have a mentor, and if they say this is how to do it I guess you should go with that :P It's just not how I ever did it... (And I'm no pro...)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

06 May 2017 15:01 - 06 May 2017 15:03 #16129 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
I've never done any of these anatomy exercises so I'm no expert either, but I have seen them featured in some Proko videos and one thing that crops up repeatedly in the critiques (and I see it in some of yours too) is that people fail to extend the bones to the edge of the silhouette at certain joints, especially at the hips and elbows.

If you feel your own bent arms at the elbow you can feel the bone right there just under the skin rather than being embedded inside beneath layers of muscle and flesh.

07 May 2017 15:12 - 07 May 2017 15:20 #16146 by em...
Replied by em... on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook

Came up with a new way to do my anatomy studies. Tell me what you think.

I think you should stop fannying around with avoidance techniques under the guise of "studies" and just draw a person.

Maybe it'll be rubbish, but so what? The only way to know if your studies have taught you anything is to put them into practice, and you'll learn far more by what happens as a result of that than you will by tip toeing around the actual act as you are currently.

Endlessly preparing to do something doesn't make you good at it - doing it does.

13 May 2017 12:48 - 13 May 2017 12:50 #16235 by crankshaft
Thanks guys for the crits! My new process is now much engaging and active. Tell me what you think. It's rather hard through. I'm gonna go cry now.

Update on my tank. Trying to surpass the front.

Finally fleshed out the design of these rear wings. Really brain frying stuff.

Trying a new route with the anatomy. I'm going straight into applying the knowledge by making up poses. For the reference I just looked in the mirror. Prepare for absolute disaster.

Attachments:

13 May 2017 13:27 #16236 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
I think both the tank and the "flying dart thing" look good. The flyer looks less polished is all.
I'm still not sure what your "new process" is so I can't really comment on that.

I do think it's nice to see an anatomy sketch from life from you! I haven't looked at any refs but if I were you I think I'd make thechest/shoulders area wider (assuming you want a muscly fighter type guy) and raise the hands some as they currently look like he risks hitting himself in the back of the head of he tries to attack someone.

Did a quick "line over" just to show which areas I mean. (But as stated I haven't used a ref so.... use that! :silly: )

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:

20 May 2017 04:44 #16315 by crankshaft
More stuff. For the anatomy I studied from life (posing in the mirror) then filled the rest with Loomis and Hampton. Almost done this one. Hand are just....very scary. Slight progress on the dart ship.

One problem after another. Rear wings are good but the bridge is unresolved.

Attachments:

20 May 2017 04:47 #16316 by crankshaft

I think both the tank and the "flying dart thing" look good. The flyer looks less polished is all.
I'm still not sure what your "new process" is so I can't really comment on that.

I do think it's nice to see an anatomy sketch from life from you! I haven't looked at any refs but if I were you I think I'd make thechest/shoulders area wider (assuming you want a muscly fighter type guy) and raise the hands some as they currently look like he risks hitting himself in the back of the head of he tries to attack someone.

Did a quick "line over" just to show which areas I mean. (But as stated I haven't used a ref so.... use that! :silly: )

Thanks Char! I've applied all your crits! Unfortunately I'm going to need the help I can get with my anatomy :(

20 May 2017 04:52 - 20 May 2017 04:53 #16317 by crankshaft
Finally finished the tank! It looks like something off artstation! Another portfolio piece that I can call my own! I think I've (slightly) surpassed the front!

The original is massive in resolution- 4200x2600 so I've scaled everything back.