Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Crankshaft's Sketchbook

Crankshaft's Sketchbook 29 Apr 2017 16:04 #15964

• crankshaft
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 52
Updates. Things are going crazy here. My car is falling apart and I've been getting sick lately. So not much progress.
I realized there were a lot of underlying problems with the rear of the tank. So I've decided the best way to learn is to start over. So I did another base render.

newrearapr29.jpg

Some things I learned:

-The lighting was too flat and unnatural, being fully front lit at a 45 angle killed form.

-The camera angle was too isometric and had a boring silhouette. By turning the camera more it feels more natural and it shows a better angle of the footprint of the tracks, which is the focal point.

-Values were too complex. I learned that you should never separate local values on the same object bc it creates confusion. Ie the body of a car half red and half blue.

Kit bash wip. Rear wings are getting there.

kitbashapr29.jpg

Visual library study. Sort of gave up with those ellipses.

hsapr23.jpg

hsrefapr23.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Crankshaft's Sketchbook 06 May 2017 12:14 #16127

• crankshaft
  • Premium Member
Updates. No progress what so ever.

Tank rear.

newrearmay6.jpg

Came up with a new way to do my anatomy studies. Tell me what you think.

tracemay6.jpg

skelmay6.jpg

may6mus.jpg

I think I solved the problem with those rear wings.

kitbashmay6.jpg

Crankshaft's Sketchbook 06 May 2017 12:40 #16128

• Charlotte
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 129
Actually I'm not sure what's new about your anatomy studies? Personally I suspect you focus too much on the bits and pieces, like we are machines, rather than the overall shape, gesture and proportion. But you have a mentor, and if they say this is how to do it I guess you should go with that :P It's just not how I ever did it... (And I'm no pro...)

Crankshaft's Sketchbook 06 May 2017 15:01 #16129

• Valence
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166
  • Challenge Winner Challenge Winner Challenge Winner Challenge Winner Challenge Winner Challenge Winner Challenge Winner Challenge Winner Challenge Winner Challenge Winner Challenge Winner Challenge Winner Challenge Winner Challenge Winner
I've never done any of these anatomy exercises so I'm no expert either, but I have seen them featured in some Proko videos and one thing that crops up repeatedly in the critiques (and I see it in some of yours too) is that people fail to extend the bones to the edge of the silhouette at certain joints, especially at the hips and elbows.

If you feel your own bent arms at the elbow you can feel the bone right there just under the skin rather than being embedded inside beneath layers of muscle and flesh.
Last Edit: 06 May 2017 15:03 by Valence.

Crankshaft's Sketchbook 07 May 2017 15:12 #16146

• em...
  • Thank you received: 14
crankshaft wrote:
Came up with a new way to do my anatomy studies. Tell me what you think.
I think you should stop fannying around with avoidance techniques under the guise of "studies" and just draw a person.

Maybe it'll be rubbish, but so what? The only way to know if your studies have taught you anything is to put them into practice, and you'll learn far more by what happens as a result of that than you will by tip toeing around the actual act as you are currently.

Endlessly preparing to do something doesn't make you good at it - doing it does.
Last Edit: 07 May 2017 15:20 by em....

Crankshaft's Sketchbook 13 May 2017 12:48 #16235

• crankshaft
  • Premium Member
Thanks guys for the crits! My new process is now much engaging and active. Tell me what you think. It's rather hard through. I'm gonna go cry now.

Update on my tank. Trying to surpass the front.

newrear2may13.jpg

Finally fleshed out the design of these rear wings. Really brain frying stuff.

kitbashmay13.jpg

Trying a new route with the anatomy. I'm going straight into applying the knowledge by making up poses. For the reference I just looked in the mirror. Prepare for absolute disaster.

ana2may13.jpg
Last Edit: 13 May 2017 12:50 by crankshaft.

Crankshaft's Sketchbook 13 May 2017 13:27 #16236

• Charlotte
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 129
I think both the tank and the "flying dart thing" look good. The flyer looks less polished is all.
I'm still not sure what your "new process" is so I can't really comment on that.

I do think it's nice to see an anatomy sketch from life from you! I haven't looked at any refs but if I were you I think I'd make thechest/shoulders area wider (assuming you want a muscly fighter type guy) and raise the hands some as they currently look like he risks hitting himself in the back of the head of he tries to attack someone.

Did a quick "line over" just to show which areas I mean. (But as stated I haven't used a ref so.... use that! :silly: )

Crank_PO1.jpg

Crankshaft's Sketchbook 20 May 2017 04:44 #16315

• crankshaft
  • Premium Member
More stuff. For the anatomy I studied from life (posing in the mirror) then filled the rest with Loomis and Hampton. Almost done this one. Hand are just....very scary. Slight progress on the dart ship.

ana2.jpg

One problem after another. Rear wings are good but the bridge is unresolved.

kitbash1.jpg

Crankshaft's Sketchbook 20 May 2017 04:47 #16316

• crankshaft
  • Premium Member
Charlotte wrote:
I think both the tank and the "flying dart thing" look good. The flyer looks less polished is all.
I'm still not sure what your "new process" is so I can't really comment on that.

I do think it's nice to see an anatomy sketch from life from you! I haven't looked at any refs but if I were you I think I'd make thechest/shoulders area wider (assuming you want a muscly fighter type guy) and raise the hands some as they currently look like he risks hitting himself in the back of the head of he tries to attack someone.

Did a quick "line over" just to show which areas I mean. (But as stated I haven't used a ref so.... use that! :silly: )

Crank_PO1.jpg

Thanks Char! I've applied all your crits! Unfortunately I'm going to need the help I can get with my anatomy :(

Crankshaft's Sketchbook 20 May 2017 04:52 #16317

• crankshaft
  • Premium Member
Finally finished the tank! It looks like something off artstation! Another portfolio piece that I can call my own! I think I've (slightly) surpassed the front!

The original is massive in resolution- 4200x2600 so I've scaled everything back.

rearpresmay16ca.jpg

rearmay16ca.jpg

rearcu1.jpg

cu5.jpg

cu4.jpg

cu2.jpg

cu3.jpg

cu6.jpg
Last Edit: 20 May 2017 04:53 by crankshaft.
Time to create page: 0.421 seconds