April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Crankshaft's Sketchbook

25 Feb 2017 14:10 #15347 by crankshaft
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Feb 2017 14:11 - 25 Feb 2017 14:12 #15348 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook

Great studies, I would love to be able to draw vehicles, just too difficult!

I would like to reply to your comment by saying : I would love to be able to draw people, just too difficult! :P

04 Mar 2017 16:41 #15410 by crankshaft
Updates. Going thru some serious discouragement and burnout. I want to go back to using the word fail bc that's what I feel like now.

On a more positive note I learned a new rendering software and did some mockups of the tank. I'll add texture soon. Pretty excited bc this is going to speed my workflow considerably.

Attachments:

12 Mar 2017 01:34 #15507 by crankshaft
Update on my tank! I think I'm going to surpass my ray mech! How is this possible? Lots of small problems here and there, going to get it critiqued by my mentor soon. gogogogog

Attachments:

12 Mar 2017 21:26 #15513 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Fantastic texture on the front of that tank! It looks cold, harsh and heavy, but also worn and rugged with lots of character. Really authentic stuff.

Which new renderer have you been learning?

13 Mar 2017 01:08 #15515 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Crankshaft's Sketchbook
Great stuff Crank!! It must be very satisfying to look back on your earlier stuff and see such a huge and impressive improvement. All those hours of hard toil are really paying off - I wish I had your commitment!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

18 Mar 2017 03:24 #15564 by crankshaft
Updates. Applied some critique from my mentor. It had too much texture which flattened everything so I brought back more form. Almost done! I love designing stuff!

Anatomy on the other hand.

Attachments:

18 Mar 2017 03:32 #15565 by crankshaft

Great stuff Crank!! It must be very satisfying to look back on your earlier stuff and see such a huge and impressive improvement. All those hours of hard toil are really paying off - I wish I had your commitment!

Thanks man! I look back at my old stuff and still don't feel like I made any progress. Everyone else seems to improve way faster in half the time span :(

18 Mar 2017 03:35 #15566 by crankshaft

Fantastic texture on the front of that tank! It looks cold, harsh and heavy, but also worn and rugged with lots of character. Really authentic stuff.

Which new renderer have you been learning?

Thanks Val! I'm using Kerkythea.

www.kerkythea.net/cms/

It's rather outdated but still very powerful considering it's free. It's aimed more at sketchup. Thanks for the compliment! Still have so much to learn :(

25 Mar 2017 13:06 #15623 by crankshaft
Updates! Finally another portfolio piece! It looks like something off Artstation! But it took 100 years :(

This drawing is the equivalent of tons of sketches, iterations, revisions. I learned complex modeling in sketchup, some blender, a new rendering engine, texturing, design, proportions, how tanks work and much more. So it's more like 30-40 drawings in one.

The first piece is more like actual concept art. Notice how it looks like a set of instructions.

This piece is more like an illustration/pretty picture. Notice how a lot of important info is lost.

Included some close up beauty shots.